Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #1

Oil Filter Magnets

OK, what do people think about these, especially all you mechanical engineers and hardcore DIYers? Sounds like Boxster owners would largely be limited to the 'slap-on' FilterMag product over the MagDog, since the latter seems to create clearance problems in our cars. (This assumes most people don't want to resort to using the smaller filters available, which allows the use of the MagDog but necessitates more frequent filter changes.)

Pros and cons (if any) to using such products??

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #2

Well, neither can be used with the stock filter arrangement. The only way to get a magnet in the mix would be a drain plug. That said, the spin on oil filter adapter would allow use of a conventional filter and Filter Mag. The only reasoning behind the use of a filter mag over the mag dog is ground clearance. The Napa Gold 1042 filter with the spin-on adapter preserves the same ground clearance.

There is a shorter filter we use with the accusump input adapter, but it's not as heavy duty, and quite frankly, it has so little area it needs to be changed about every 1,000-2,000 mi tops.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #3

Yup, I should have mentioned that: I am planning on picking up one of the spin-on oil filter adapters first!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro
Well, neither can be used with the stock filter arrangement. The only way to get a magnet in the mix would be a drain plug. That said, the spin on oil filter adapter would allow use of a conventional filter and Filter Mag. The only reasoning behind the use of a filter mag over the mag dog is ground clearance. The Napa Gold 1042 filter with the spin-on adapter preserves the same ground clearance.
I bought the LN spin on adapter and mag drain plug and will add the mag for the filter that Charles Navarro and/or Jake Raby site on their web site (s). Not cheap, but seem worth it.

I'm very happy with the Napa filter Charles recommended.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #5

I also have the LN adapter, but chose the Mobil 1 filter...fits the factory filter wrench perfectly. I also installed the magnetic drain plug (wow, that thing is strong), but haven't done anything with a FilterMag just yet.

My car sees about 2500 to 3000 miles a year and oil is changed annually. Not sure the FilterMag would be necessary?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #6

I use a magnet with the stock filter setup and it works quite well. I bought some rare earth magnetic discs measuring 1"x 0.125" and placed one inside the filter cover and one outside to secure the inside one.

Rare earth magnets are the strongest permanent magnets available and they both attract each other so strongly, even through the nylon (Tecamid HS or whatever) cover that they both stay in place well secured. The 1" diameter ensures that the internal disc cannot possibly get sucked into the motor.

When changing the oil, pulling off the outer magnet causes the internal one to drop right out for cleaning. I have used them for 2 changes now and both times, there were ferrous particles on the magnet. Nothing alarming, but it did seem to do a good job because after cleaning up the magnet I placed a piece of string between them and dragged the magnets through my catch pan and they didn't attract any additional particles.

I got 4 of them for $10 (+S/H) here: Rare Earth Magnets

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote: "I use a magnet with the stock filter setup and it works quite well. I bought some rare earth magnetic discs measuring 1"x 0.125" and placed one inside the filter cover and one outside to secure the inside one."

Posted by Lil bastard.

Interesting. I suppose, if one wanted to go with the spin-on oil filter adapter (so as to utilize the---reputedly better---oil filters available), you could also utilize the magnets you used (slapped on the outside of the metal filter). Saves a few bucks anyway, over the FilterMag...
Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Quote: "I use a magnet with the stock filter setup and it works quite well. I bought some rare earth magnetic discs measuring 1"x 0.125" and placed one inside the filter cover and one outside to secure the inside one."

Posted by Lil bastard.

Interesting. I suppose, if one wanted to go with the spin-on oil filter adapter (so as to utilize the---reputedly better---oil filters available), you could also utilize the magnets you used (slapped on the outside of the metal filter). Saves a few bucks anyway, over the FilterMag...

Sure, so long as the spin-on filter shell is steel and not aluminum. You could add several since they come as a 4-pak.

1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 07-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #9

For $10, it's worth a try!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote: "Sure, so long as the spin-on filter shell is steel and not aluminum."

Posted by Lil bastard.

Well, there's always duct tape.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #11

I called Filtermag a couple of months ago and they said that they're in the process of making their product adaptable to cars with the plastic housings. They expect to be marketing these in the fall.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Quote: "Sure, so long as the spin-on filter shell is steel and not aluminum."

Posted by Lil bastard.

Well, there's always duct tape.

Very True !

And, if you have any left over, you can sneak over to your neighbor's and...

1999 Porsche Boxster