Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #1

Exhaust differences-

Ok. I went for about a hundred mile drive today. I have decided I want my car quite again. (I think). Does anybody know the pipe dimensions from a 2.5 muffler, which I own one of to a 3.2 muffler. I have the 3.4 in it now so I would like the best flow for the motor possible. If they are the same I will put the 2.5 muffler on tomorrow. I have a ghl and a Mille migliea now which may be on the market soon. Any help with this I would love.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Curious- I know the GHL drones pretty badly on the 2.5, 2.7, and 3.2L Boxsters. Does it also resonate on your 3.4? Also does your Mille Miglia exhaust also drone?

If so, and you already have a stock muffler, you could take the stock muffler to a shop to do a Pedro style bypass, and it would not drone like the aftermarket exhausts do while still giving you nice sound.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:22 AM   #3

The ghl is pretty Loud. It sounds great but a little much for me. The other does drone also but not as loud as the ghl. I really just need to know if all the stock mufflers are the Same pipe diameters from the 2.5 to the 3.2.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
The ghl is pretty Loud. It sounds great but a little much for me. The other does drone also but not as loud as the ghl. I really just need to know if all the stock mufflers are the Same pipe diameters from the 2.5 to the 3.2.
If you're talking about the entry pipe diameter (that connects the U-pipe leading from the muffler to the cats), yes- they should all be the same from the 2.5 to the 3.2 because the only difference btw the 2.5 muffler and the 3.2 mufflers were the exhaust tips (single oval vs. dual tips), and the upper muffler bracket mounting configuration.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #5

Oh yea. I just want to make sure the the oem muffler will flow enough forthe 3.4. I just put the stock muffler back on. I'm going to go for a ride see how it feels and actually be able to hear my radio, if it works. Stock radio sucks. Other wise I think I may have the two exhausts for sale. I took photos of them. I'll post them up later. I'm on my phone right now replying.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Oh yea. I just want to make sure the the oem muffler will flow enough forthe 3.4. I just put the stock muffler back on. I'm going to go for a ride see how it feels and actually be able to hear my radio, if it works. Stock radio sucks. Other wise I think I may have the two exhausts for sale. I took photos of them. I'll post them up later. I'm on my phone right now replying.
It will flow fine with the OEM muffler. I have driven a pal's 3.4L converted Boxster, and he had the OEM muffler on the car along with new headers, and it still sounded great.