Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #1

Rebuild Tranny

I was wondering how much it would cost to do this. Dealership wants around 3000 bucks. This includes replacing synchros and clutch. I was thinking about doing it myself but I don't want to get involved with something and end up getting over my head. All I have is some experience fixing up parts on the car such as replacing AOS, water pump, just minor stuff. But I want to get into the good stuff and I don't know if I am really capable or have the means. I have a tool kit with some sockets, wrenches and that sort. I would need to be able to put it on a lift to bring the tranny down and I don't have anything like that either (just some jack stands). If I were to buy everything I need to do the job (including a lift of some sort) would I be in the hole over 3000? I really want to do it myself and if I can help it I'd like to save some money, but even if I can't, I'd still want to do it myself as long as I don't have to pay too much. The reason for all this is that my car is approaching 110k and has 2nd gear issues. (2000 Boxster S)

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Engine Surgeon

Get the quote in writing with a "ceiling" of the costs up front.. That is if the dealer does the work
I am rebuilding a transaxle now for a Client that got roped into a 2500.00 repair at the dealer that ended up being "it'll be cheaper to buy a new trans from Porsche"...

Long story short they shipped it to us and I did the repair for 3K.. With these trannys it's almost always the pinion bearing that fails and guess what, the dealer is going to put that same bearing right back into the tranny when a better bearing is available, but not from Porsche. (almost the exact same issue that plagues the engine and the IMS bearing)

It takes a FIFTY TON press to press the gear stacks off in these trannys.. This is not a tool that is found in most any shop, and certainly not in a home garage.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #3

So what you're saying is that I won't be able to remove the gears from the box since it takes 10,000 lb to do so? That sounds like a lot. About 3 times the weight of the car in fact. You say it's the pinion bearings (I'm not even sure what those are) but I've been told by numerous people (including on this forum) that it is most likely a synchro issue. All I think I need is that synchro, but I was going to get them all replaced along with the clutch in the process. Thats what I understand the 3k to cover. Does this sound like a reasonable price? What about the pinion bearings that you mention and all the other parts. Is it worth just replacing everything?
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #4

I was under the impression that Vertex had rebuilt tranny's for our cars for less than $3000 but I can't figure out if their price of $3200 is before the core charge is refunded.

If you can take the huge core charge off their price, it's a lot cheaper than $3000.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote