Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Lux

Angry Hydroplaning Madness with AVS Sports (& rate your tires)

Are you guys hydroplaning as much as I seem to be lately? It's been raining like crazy in the Bay Area and there's tons of standing water on the crappy roads here.

I've got the AVS Sports and yesterday while taking an exit coming off of the freeway my front end just washes out...at a slow 45mph when I hit some standing water. Luckily I had a good grip on the wheel and just kept it steady until I regained traction. I've got plenty of tread on the fronts but the back is kinda worn (coming up on 11K miles). I was going to replace the rears with the same AVS Sports but if this keeps up I might just get new shoes all the way around. I think I've had better luck with the Pilot Sport MXX3's on my M3...and those tires were known to be lousy wet weather tires.

So what's everybody running on their cars right now, and how happy are you with their dry and wet performance?

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #2

Interesting. I have driven Boxes with just about all the major brands. I like the AVS a lot. Pirellis, not so much. Pilot Sports, so so.

Perhaps the tread.? At 11K you may be down as much as 50%. Moreover, it may not be the tire as much as how low the car is, how light it is?

This is a good thread.!

BTW-what is WITH the rain here in CA? It really has me down big time!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote