Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #1

Hardwire Cigarette Lighter

I'm trying to mod my car so that I can use multiple ports as my cigarette lighter, but still leave the one I have in the front (main) available. I see a bundle of red cords coming from the radio/cigarette lighter section but I don't know which ones to slice. Will this even work? I don't want to break the lighter or go overboard on the fuse. I have provided some pictures of what I'm trying to do. Basically, cut the ends of the attachment and solder them on to the + and - of the cigarette lighter so I can use 3 devices + the device in the front. So far I'm just thinking of plugging into the 3 available slots a radar detector and my phone charger.
I also see a disconnected plug which I don't know what it goes to (pic 4). Any help would be appreciated for how to do this.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #2

The connector in the last pic looks like the cell phone connector. I bought a male connector for it from Becker.

There is a ground (brown wire), a 12V+ only on with ignition, a 12V+ always on, and a mute wire to shut down sound to radio/TP function..

Best way to check is with a test light ( I do not have diagram readily available.)

Wire your new lighter to ground and either 12V depending on whether you want you accessories to go off with the ignition or to be always on.

I hard wired my radar detector to this connector on the on-with-ignition wire and my garage door opener to the always-on wire.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #3

I don't understand what you mean by the shut down radio/tp function
Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #4

here's a schematic for the phone plug :

Ps - on your new accessory (w/ multiple plugs), you could either pick up a the female receptacle at a parts store (under $5) and use 3M splice taps on the phone power plug. Like this:

Or, cut the plug off your new unit and use 3M splice taps on them to wire to the phone power plug. Know that the wire for the center of the plug (in your new unit) is the + and wire to the barrel is the ground.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 06-28-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the graph. It is very informative and I will have to figure out exactly how to hook everything up. I'm still not sure what the mute phone wire does.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #6

Ok so I figured out what happens when you use the ground with the "phone" wire, and the "only when the car is on" wire, but the "always on" wire isn't working at all. Whether the car is off or on. My normal cig lighter is always on though. Why is that wire not working but all the others are? Earlier today I could have sworn it was working but now it just seems dead. How can I figure out whats wrong?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #7

I'm suspecting that the wire that doesn't work anymore (always on 12V) blew a fuse. Thats of course assuming it has one but that is seriously the only explanation I can come up with because it was working before and now it's not. So would anyone know if it does have a fuse and if so, where it is located?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #8

check fuse E6. It's behind panel on left wall of driver's footwell. Map to panel and fuse puller tool on inside of access panel. If you blew it, you'd also have a problem trying to fill 'er up now too

DON'T use the phone ground wire to ground your new outlets. Only use the vehicle ground wire (brown one as I noted in pix). The phone ground wire (yellow) is the signal turn off which leads to the amp in front trunk. When you add the aux OEM phone kit, it's to cut out the signal from the radio head unit so the phone plays thru car's sound system.

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 06-29-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #9

My service manual says e6 is 7.5 amps and controls navigation, orvr, and terminal 30 telephone. I know what you mean by the refueling (orvr), but how do you know which terminal it is? For instance, e8 is also 7.5 amps and controls navigation and terminal 15 telephone. And can I replace the square 7.5 amp fuse with one from the store or do I have to get it from a dealership.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #10

First off, did you pull it to see if it's blown? Sometimes tough to truly see if blown on the smaller sizes (like this one in a 7.5A vs 20A).

Anyhow, contrary to what a typical dealers service dept will sell/tell you... you can replace w/ any store bought brand of same size/amp. Or just use one of the spares

Feel free to replace both E6 and E8 but my $ is on E6.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #11

I don't know how you figured it out and I am really curious as to why you thought it's E6 as opposed to any other one, but ya you were totally right. I ended up going to a local junkyard and plucking out an 7.5A fuse and replacing the old. While I was doing small maintenance on my car, I remembered that my ashtray light doesn't work. The bulb appears fine but it never turns on. I couldn't find in the manual which fuse controls that, but I tried to remove the bulb. In the process of trying to grab the two pieces on either side of the bulb, the pliers slipped and crushed the bulb. I realize now how to remove the bulb assembly but it looks like I'm not getting any power. Thanks for your help and I decided to make a new thread about this bulb issue just because my original problem has been solved

I found out that the car lights need to be turned on for the voltage to go through. 6.6V reading after that. Now I just need new bulb assembly.

Last edited by Viper5; 06-30-2009 at 08:19 AM.