Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #21

Bill, Mark's doing fine. He's at the track every time the PCA opens it up for a HSDE. Some of the time he volunteers as a corner worker to get free entry on the next registration.

I gotta do that next to save $225.

Mark's needle moves up to "normal operating temp" rather quickly (actually TOO quickly if you ask Mark.) Then it sits right there no matter how the car is driven or operated... roll it down a hill in neutral with the AC off, turn the AC on full and sit in park, drive the piss out of it on a track, and that needle doesn't move unless the motor is overheating and then it shoots to the right and turns on the dummy light.

I too am quite surprised that dealerships don't offer this service. Lord knows they could make a pile of cash doing it.

My mechanic has told me more than once that I should take my house vac's crevice tool and tape it to the tube of my high powered shop vac and suck all the debris out of the front radiator through the grills from time to time. He's never recommended removing the bumper and separating the radiators though.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #22
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
My mechanic has told me more than once that I should take my house vac's crevice tool and tape it to the tube of my high powered shop vac and suck all the debris out of the front radiator through the grills from time to time. He's never recommended removing the bumper and separating the radiators though.
Yes, I have done this. Easy to do. Not much came out though. Leaf blower still worked better.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I too am quite surprised that dealerships don't offer this service. Lord knows they could make a pile of cash doing it.
When I was but a newb, Park Place in Dallas said the radiators needed to be cleaned of debris at a price of $400 IIRC. It was suggested as annual maintenance.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
wow...

just watched a video walkthrough of how to remove the bumper and get to the radiators to clean them. definitely something i'm going to do this weekend, but wanted to post the link to the video.

video walkthrough is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-h2aUJHY4&feature=channel_page
Hey, thanks for the link to the video.
That made it very easy to do myself this morning.

My right side radiator had much more stuff collected between them than the left side, though I did have 1 lone butt on the left, and a q-tip on the right.

In a little while, I'm going to go for a spin, and see if the stop and go traffic temp is a bit lower.

Thanks again,
BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #25
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
It always amazes me that guys that want to change their oil way too soon will resist well documented evidence that our radiators need to be cleaned at least every 30,000 miles.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
It always amazes me that guys that want to change their oil way too soon will resist well documented evidence that our radiators need to be cleaned at least every 30,000 miles.
Ditto...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #27

There is some really good info here plus pics and vid. I had to replace a radiator last year, so I learned all this stuff then.

My advice....
- Have assistance when putting the bumper back on. It's a lot of lining up to do alone, and those rubbery intakes on the air scoops can be difficult to line up with the grill inserts.
- Do this job if it's been too many yrs to remember or you bought a 5-10 yr old car.
- Don't bother with this project if it's only 2-4 yrs, unless you have been experiencing cooling system problems.
- While you're in there it's a good time to consider rerouting the cable release for your trunk to the tow bolt hole area so it can be scagged easily by removing the snap on hole plug.

Question..........how are you guys cleaning this area with a leaf blower??? Sounds like a good alternative to use on a regular basis.
Personally, I've made a vac nozzle out of a piece of 1/2" copper tubing wrapped with duct tape that can easily reach the recesses through the grills. Cheap and handy.

Bob
Old 07-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #28

Clean Rads

Just got done cleaning the radiators. The UTube videos is really helpful. The shop vac did the job.
Here's a pic of the debris before.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #29

I am going to clean my radiators in the next week or two. Very interested to see what is in there. They have not been cleaned for 9 years and 90K. When I have the bumper off I want to remove the grills and paint them as they have faded. Any advice for preping the grills for painting them black, type of paint to use or such would be appreciated,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I am going to clean my radiators in the next week or two. Very interested to see what is in there. They have not been cleaned for 9 years and 90K. When I have the bumper off I want to remove the grills and paint them as they have faded. Any advice for preping the grills for painting them black, type of paint to use or such would be appreciated,

Ed

Be sure to get in between the AC and coolant radiators to do a complete cleaning.
Re painting, you can get real fancy, but no need to. Use a scotchbright type pad to roughen them and remove loose paint, and go to a home improvement store and look for spray that is designed for plastic without prime or further prep. I recommend a satin gloss. I forget the brand name that I used but it's a popular name. Easy to do and works well.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #31
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Before painting them, try Vinylex, you may change your mind.

http://www.vinylexprotectant.com/
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #32

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
After almost four years of ownership decided to clean the radiator

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #33

Tony

The system I've developed over the years when taking things apart...

Take pictures!

You have a smart phone, right? Just shoot some photos as you take things apart. It makes getting it back together (and the right bolts in the right places) a lot easier.

Bill
Old 11-13-2016, 04:19 AM   #34

Garage
I am amazed at how dirty those radiators get. Definitely a project for the coming spring.

Great stuff!

Thanks/Anker
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #35

Cleaning between the radiators for airflow is one thing .The other is if there is buildup of debris which is left it will eventually corrode the radiator core tubes which will leak, then a new radiator is required. Mesh grills on the air intakes are a good idea and easy to make and fit by tying to the existing intake bars.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #36

What he said

I have a friend who had an Audi A4 with the V8. That car uses the same setup, dual radiators on each front corner. He had to buy new radiators as they started leaking after the leaves and other garbage corroded the tubes.

Another thing to do while you're in there is check out that both of your horns - high note and low note are working and replace them if they're not working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggo View Post
Cleaning between the radiators for airflow is one thing .The other is if there is buildup of debris which is left it will eventually corrode the radiator core tubes which will leak, then a new radiator is required. Mesh grills on the air intakes are a good idea and easy to make and fit by tying to the existing intake bars.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #37

Garage
After I cleaned mine I used some gutter guard from lowes and put it in the front openings to block some of the junk from getting in the radiators.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #38
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Horns failed....

....so, time to pull the bumper cover and R&R the horns, relocate the Trunk cable release, and clean the radiators.

I bought the car 16 months ago.

Car lived in a garage in Colorado for 12 years.

I've put 15,000 miles on her with three cross-country trips.

Car has 38,000 miles on her. 2004 model.

Here's what was inside:

Wow!

Just do it.

And now the horn works.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #39

Good job! It is a reminder that it is getting to be time for me to do it again too! First time I replaced my horns I rotated them backwards hoping that water would be less likely to get in them. It didn't help. That is why I swore off of automatic car washes for this car, although I probably went to these car washes less than a dozen times since buying the car in 2003! Knock on wood my horns have been fine since!

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote