Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #1

Air Mass Meter

My check engine light recently came on and my local dealer told me I need a new AIR MASS METER. they wanted $800.00 to replace. Any ideas where I can order one at a better rate and install myself?? Any feedback on if and howlong I can drive the car with this part being faulty without engine damage?
Thanks..

racer9816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:49 AM   #2

Thumbs up

Try buyautoparts.com

Seems like they have one for about $300 if I am looking at the right part.

See below.

B3130-70627 Air Mass Meter Bosch $433.38 $270.65 Tomorrow

I have no idea how to change this. Others here may have done it.

PS-DONT drive around with this being faulty. Very very bad!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:18 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Okay, I switched mine out, its not that hard to do.

First of all, what year is your Boxster? There are three different MAFs, depending on what year. If your Box is a 2000, its a little tricky.

Once you've figured out the part number, the MAF is easily accessible in the engine bay, so you'll need to know how to get at the top of your engine. YOu'll also need a torx screw bit, I think its size 12.

I changed mine out and solved all the problems for $280.

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:41 AM   #4

I have a 2000 boxster. i have looked at some pics on rentech forum and have an idea of what it looks like. Did you have to get your CEL reset by a dealer after replacement or will it cycle through and go out by itself?? Any other hints or reccos you can give me based on your experience?
Thanks,
Old 02-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #5

Man, a 2000...okay, what you need to do is figure out which version of the mass meter you have. There were two versions for the 2000 boxster. If you take out the air mass metter, you can look at the serial number on the side of it to tell.

I got my MAF sensor at the Parts Bin (I think its www.thepartsbin.com ).

My CEL did not go out, but that's because I had an O2 sensor that needed to be "plugged back in," so I don't know if it goes out on its own. I've heard that you should get the whole thing reset by the dealership, just to make sure there's nothing else wrong.

But DO NOT buy a MAF sensor until you know exactly which one you have. The only true way to tell is to take it out and look at the numbers on the side.

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Old 02-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #6

thanks , i have been told on another forum to unplug the battery for 5 mins and it will reset the CEL. problem is I do not have the radio code to get my radio back up (was missing when I bought car). Any ideas??
Old 02-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #7

You can get the radio code from your dealership, though it usually takes them about a day or so to actually get it, and they might charge you $25 or something for it.

Other than that, I'd double check the back of your owner's manual to see if anyone jotted down the code...that's where the dealership usually puts it when they check it for you (at least at the dealerships I've been to).

-Kevin

Old 02-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #8

Talking

The radio code is available on line to the dealer. They can look it up while you wait. Then, write it down for future use.

If they charge you for this, find another dealer.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #9

Here's an old thread about my MAF sensor adventures. Hope it helps...

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477

-Kevin