Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #1

Radio Problem on My 03 Boxster S, need your help!

Hello
I am new, to this forum and also to Porsche world, jut bought 03 boxster S with aftermarket stereo,but I like to look of stock radio,so I bought used CDR23 and installed, the word Porsche comes first and then message saying "protected" comes on I have no idea how to fixed it, I have tried to leave radio on and ignition on ACC for about 1:45 min no luck!any ideas? Also can anyone tell me if my code of 4583 is correct?

here is all the info on the radio
cdr23
model number BE 6611
Serial No. 25013708

So any help would be great, Thank
Joe

Cool hand luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool hand luke
Hello
I am new, to this forum and also to Porsche world, jut bought 03 boxster S with aftermarket stereo,but I like to look of stock radio,so I bought used CDR23 and installed, the word Porsche comes first and then message saying "protected" comes on I have no idea how to fixed it, I have tried to leave radio on and ignition on ACC for about 1:45 min no luck!any ideas? Also can anyone tell me if my code of 4583 is correct?

here is all the info on the radio
cdr23
model number BE 6611
Serial No. 25013708

So any help would be great, Thank
Joe

What we have here is a failure to communicate Luke....

Joe, the radio is code protected, it's awaiting a series of inputs made with the keys on the face. The easiest solution would be to retrieve them from the person you bought it from, if not, there are dudes on this BB who can solve the riddle for you, unfortunately I'm not one of them.. I'm pretty sure lil B is the go to guy for this..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #3

CDR23 uses a MOST bus and gets it code from the DME. There are no codes to physically enter like in prior years. Probably need to talk with your dealer about updating the DME to match the new head unit.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
Probably need to talk with your dealer about updating the DME to match the new head unit.
Yup, no codes. PIWIS can set to recognize radio IIRC.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to AWay
Good info to know about the 03+ and the MOST. So if I disconnect the battery in the future I won't need to enter any radio codes upon connecting it again? The radio will sort itself out?

I recently purchased the car and was confused as to why I couldn't find the radio codes in the manual anywhere.
AWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWay
Good info to know about the 03+ and the MOST. So if I disconnect the battery in the future I won't need to enter any radio codes upon connecting it again? The radio will sort itself out?
That's correct.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool hand luke
03 boxster S with aftermarket stereo,but I like to look of stock radio,so I bought used CDR23 and installed
@ Joe
Wait a sec! How was the after market head unit hooked up? I'm guessing the PO also replaced or bypassed the stock amp because the receiver was not MOST compatible. IIRC a fiber optic line goes straight from the CDR-23 to the stock amp. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #8

now i had issue with my 03 boxster-- stereo was loced!! -- i held power button off for 10 seconds then turned the car off and turned it back on while holding the power button(i tried million things) and this worked for me to get my stereo back online!

btw how do i pull the stereo out of the car?!?!
MIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #9

To remove the factory head unit you need a pair of keys as shown below. I got mine at a dealer but you can find them on Ebay or other sites.

When the stereo stops working and you can't get it back to life no matter what, try disconnecting the battery for five minutes. For me that works every time ... but I only go to this extreme when all else fails.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140270362732
Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #10

One more helpful clue when pulling the radio with those keys. Thread a (red)shop rag thru the holes and pull. Gotta pull pretty hard, but at least if something slips, nothing will get scratched.
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #11

And pay attention, you can put the keys in upside down. Fortunately when I did this it only took a bit of a hard tug to remove them.

And as gressedc said, it hurt.

Key right side up was fairly easy.

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote