Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #1

Extended Warranty - Automotive Protection Bureau?

I have a 1999 Boxster with 54K miles.

I was watching TV and saw a commercial from the Automotive Protection Bureau.

There website is: http://automotiveprotectionbureau.com/

I called them, The first person sent me to the Approval department. They asked the usual info. Plus, if i modified my car, i said yes, i have an exhaust. They said okay. They asked about recent problems, i said i just replaced the water pump. That was okay too. I was approved.

I was sent back to the first operator, and was quoted $492 (total) for a 5 year / additional 100K miles (to 154K). This is pending 30 day, because they my car needs to be inspected.

They will cover the drivetrain, air condition, and other things. They will also pay for the timing belt/chain change (depending on the car). I asked where can i get my car fixed? they said any ASC certified mechanic, even the dealer!!!

I told them that sounds like a good deal. I said "I'll call back" i need to do my research".

The Kicker is they said they don't allow call back. they qouted some rule or law about people calling back only when there car is broken.

This did not sound good to me, i'm thinking its a scam, so i did not get the extended warranty.

I must add, i continued watching TV, and another Extended Warranty company came up. I didn't call, it was called mogi, site is http://getmogi.com/.

I didn't call them.

My question is, have any of you got an extended warranty? from who, and how much.

What do you think of this company? I tried to look up some independent reviews and did not find any.

I did not give them my exact name, so if you guy give me any positive experiences, I should still be able to call back, with my home phone.

Last edited by BlitzSRM; 06-14-2009 at 11:18 PM.
BlitzSRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I've never heard of them, but I would be wary of such a cheap warranty. Read the fine print because an engine replacement can be around $10,000 but I have seen some warranty companies cap repairs at $3000 or less.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

An extended warranty is only as good as the company that provides it (at best). If you pay $600-$3000 to a company for coverage and they go belly up, you're money's gone and you're stuck with the repair. It's true for even the "good" companies. If you can't find anything on that company, beware.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #4

Yeah what good is 5 year warranty, if the company is not a around for even 1 year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
An extended warranty is only as good as the company that provides it (at best). If you pay $600-$3000 to a company for coverage and they go belly up, you're money's gone and you're stuck with the repair. It's true for even the "good" companies. If you can't find anything on that company, beware.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I've never heard of them, but I would be wary of such a cheap warranty. Read the fine print because an engine replacement can be around $10,000 but I have seen some warranty companies cap repairs at $3000 or less.

The way it is sold, i will not get to review any fine print. They did say, that i can get a refund, when i get the paper, and i am not satisfied.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSRM
The way it is sold, i will not get to review any fine print. They did say, that i can get a refund, when i get the paper, and i am not satisfied.
run away...run away. anyone who won't let you view the "fine print" beforehand can't be all that good.

tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote