Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #1

Question Problem with gas petal

Yesterday I was cruising along an interstate at 65 mph and turned off the ramp to a lower speed and stopped at a light. When I started up the gas petal needed to be slowly pushed to avoid choking out. I went about 5 miles nursing the petal until I got home. I also noticed that when I was at a stop the idle was below 1000 around 800 and ready to quit. So I had to keep the idle up at stops.

When I finally got home I let the car rest for a couple of hours while I took a nap. When I started the boxster up. It started with no problem but if I pushed the gas petal quickly it slowed and start to choke out.

It was a tense situation because it was National Home Brew Day and our club had just made a Sasion at a local brewery. The front boot had 6 gal of wort with yeast and would go off like a rocket if I had to stop to get help.

What do you think the problem is. This is a '97 boxster.

P.S.
The first person with the correct solution in the Raleigh, NC area wins a 6 pack of the brew.

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #2

I would start by disconnecting the MAP sensor, and seeing if the engine runs normally after that. Since it is a '97, its not an e-gas issue. Chances are the throttle body could use a good cleaning, too.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #3

Definitely check your MAF. I had a similar issue at one time and that's what it turned out to be.

As long as I was cruising along, all was fine but at red lights or stop signs taking off was a big problem, it acted like I was running out of gas and I'd have to ride the clutch and lightly feather the gas pedal while the car stuttered all the while til it got moving. It made wanting to jump out into traffic a non-issue though...... I was simply too scared to do it for fear of the car dying and getting t-boned.

Another issue was 5000 rpm became a major dead spot (more noticeable in the higher gears) at full pedal, if I backed off a little it would pull through it but at full pedal it would just bog out.

Good luck tracking your issue down
Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #4

Thanks for your help

I will get to the task of dealing with the MAP (MAF?) ad the throttle body as soon as I find out where they are and where my Bentley book is hiding. We just moved to a new home and things are still in boxes, including the Porsche books, after almost 2 weeks!

I am not even sure where my tools are!

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote