Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #1

Might have to be getting rid of my Boxster...

Well, it looks like me and the lovely lady have a baby on the way! Just found out a few days ago and it's exciting, however I am putting a lot of thought into how practical keeping my Boxster will be in a three person family with only two vehicles. That said, I'd like to stay in the German family as the engineering on these cars, as well as the safety, seems to outweigh all others. I've been looking into some of the BMW 325 series as well as a few Mercedes sedans but I'm still unsure as to what I'd like to do. Anyone have advice for me concerning German family-size cars? Also, has anyone had any experience lately with trade-in values? I got my Boxster for a steal so I may be able to get a decent enough offer to pay off my original loan, considering summer is on the way and I'm not in a huge rush. Thoughts?

Last edited by gdalby; 06-03-2009 at 01:35 PM.
gdalby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #2

What is your other vehicle?
Why do you need to get rid of the Boxster?

If the other car can carry a child seat in the back, you shouldn't need to get rid of anything.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #3

Toyota Camry, with about 170k. If it goes down, we're pretty much SOL.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #4

1. Your first name isnt' Gordon, is it?

2. My wife and I just picked up a 2007 CPO BMW 550i for $38k out of Orlando in January. The car had just 15k on it with a 100k warranty. Huge trunk, lots of room for the kiddo and diaper bag in the back seat, plus you get enough power to get into the next zip code in less than 60 seconds without the jerky throttle and rough ride of the M5... and a big discount off the price too...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #5

Sooo... Replace the Camry. It's near the end of it's reasonable life-span anyway.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
Sooo... Replace the Camry. It's near the end of it's reasonable life-span anyway.
You're kidding right? I don't have doubts the motor will go pass 200k easy.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #7

Randall:

No, not Gordon.

I found this 325i at a local dealership, well under Blue Book and fairly new with low miles. Opinions? http://www.bmwofmurray.com/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=f5afd7a87f000001019ed60e983b 26b9&useHistory=true

As far as replacing the Camry, I don't think you get the picture. I want TWO cars that can transport the family around, relying on one seems asinine to me.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #8

Fair enough, I guess since I don't have kids, I don't get the whole multiple family vehicle thing.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Fair enough, I guess since I don't have kids, I don't get the whole multiple family vehicle thing.
I have three vehicles, no kids, having a truck when you own property or live in " hey ho Buffalo" is critical if you are going to work from Dec 1 to May 31..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
You need a winter & summer car for the husband & wife, so that makes min. 4 cars per family and that's with no kids.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #11

Oh, I understand multiple vehicles, I just don't get the FAMILY vehicle part. I have a K2500 to tow my Formula Ford, a Big-tired Toyota 4x4, a '94 Integra (to be replaced with a Boxster), and a Yamaha YZF600. Oh yeah, and a Mid-restoration '65 Mustang.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdalby

As far as replacing the Camry, I don't think you get the picture. I want TWO cars that can transport the family around, relying on one seems asinine to me.
FWIW, me and the Wiff, had an 06 MCS and and my 06 Boxster. While not necessarily ideal in terms of space, I carted the baby around in the Boxster for the first 4-5 months -- when necessary. Actually, very easy to get the seat in. We took the mini whenever we had to travel as a family. Having said that, we don't go out much with the baby. We took her to and from the doctor (used the mini) and to daycare (one usually dropped off and one picked up). THAT may be the relevant question you need to ask. Granted, we don't have family living in the state and it was also winter, so it wasn't like we took her skiing. Anyway, the Boxster did fine (as you may guess, I DD it and had a spare set of winter tires). We did trade it in for a 911 (not much in the "extra room" department, but I've seen enough to know I can get a forward facing car seat in the "back" seat, once she hits a year and the 3 of us can go out together in the 911. Assuming we have a place to go. good luck and congrats!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
I found this 325i at a local dealership, well under Blue Book and fairly new with low miles. Opinions? http://www.bmwofmurray.com/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=f5afd7a87f000001019ed60e983b 26b9&useHistory=true
I would recommend avoiding '06. It's the first year they came out so it will have a handful of 1st year problems. Two of my co-workers have '06 325s and they've both had electrical problems.

Also, this particular one you have linked to is a 2-owner, and the first owner (CA) has this vehicle listed as a rental car. Red flag in my book.

Coming from a Toyota, have you considered an Acura TL?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
Fred Demara

I bought a 04 honda odyssey minivan when our first child was born...It has changed my life.

It hauls 7 people
It hauls drywall sheets
It's go pep
You can sleep in it

Keep the porsche, sell the camry, and get a minivan...as awful as it may sound, they're outrageously flexiable.

Congrats on the baby!

Quote:
Well, it looks like me and the lovely lady have a baby on the way! Just found out a few days ago and it's exciting, however I am putting a lot of thought into how practical keeping my Boxster will be in a three person family with only two vehicles. That said, I'd like to stay in the German family as the engineering on these cars, as well as the safety, seems to outweigh all others. I've been looking into some of the BMW 325 series as well as a few Mercedes sedans but I'm still unsure as to what I'd like to do. Anyone have advice for me concerning German family-size cars? Also, has anyone had any experience lately with trade-in values? I got my Boxster for a steal so I may be able to get a decent enough offer to pay off my original loan, considering summer is on the way and I'm not in a huge rush. Thoughts?
Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Randall:

No, not Gordon.

Dont bother. I was in your shoes with my first 15 months ago.. I sold a convertible for a small family car- IS class lexus. It really did not work. Backwards facing car seats take up a lot of room. If you need stroller space, even more. Three of us were uncomfortable, having a guest was hell.

I sold it for a full sized lexus GX470 suv that can haul the baby, the gear, and my weekend toys. If you must have a sedan, I recommend going up to 5 series or above, E or S class, A6 or above.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:57 AM   #16

A few comments; Like Fred above, we have a newer Honda Minivan, it's ugly and all but we love it, that thing will be around for a long while, WAY too useful.

For a number of years we've had 3 cars, 2 out of those 3 do not have enough seats to transport our whole family, not that big of a deal.

If I were in today's market (deals to be had), I would be looking at the 330 rather than the 325, much more fun. Good Luck.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #17

Well after looking at A LOT of cars, and factoring in the costs of having a baby, I decided to go with something that would have a little bit of a lower cost of maintenance and picked up a 2008 Mazda3 s Touring with about 7k miles. It's a nice car and is not bad to drive, but I already miss zipping up my canyon drive to work in the Boxster. Though this was the best decision for my family, I will definitely always keep my desire to own one of these fine machines. Maybe down the road a bit I can pick one up again. Thanks for all your help here guys, it's been a fun ride!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #18
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
FWIW, I went thru a similar thought process when found out we were going to have a baby. At the time, we only had the Boxster as a fun weekend car (since we lived in NYC, and didn't really need a car during the week). After baby came along, thought about selling the Box, but I loved the car, and also made so many friends in the tri-state area from Porsche car club events that I just couldn't bring myself to sell the car.

We ended up getting an 08 Audi A4 Quattro Sedan, which has served well as a family truckster, and I drive my Boxster to work everyday now (now work and live in NJ). If, for any reason, I need to take our 8 month old baby boy somewhere, I can put our little guy in his baby seat in my Boxster. If all 3 of us need to go out, we take the Audi. No problemo. ....and I get to still have fun in the Box!

Our boy loves rides in the Boxster!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote