Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #1

Sun shade / cockpit cover?

Does anyone have any experience - positive, negative, whatever - with sun shades or cockpit covers for Boxsters?

The factory tonneau cover at $850 from Pelican parts looks...well, expensive. And I'm not sure about fitment with the windblocker.

Of course there are the common mylar covered windshield shades, and I suppose you could store it folded behind the passenger's seat.

On a previous convertible (3-series BMW), though, I was very happy with what was essentially a "shorty" version of a car cover that went over the windshield, covered the cockpit (with the top down), and soft anchored in the trunk lid. I see somethig similar for boxsters (and other cars) at $49 on EBAY (item number 250430321401), except that it appears that it goes over the closed top. OK, that could be nice for protecting the top _and_ interior...and I think it might work when the top is down - but with a lot of extra fabric and probably not looking very good.

I'm in Seattle - not Texas - so it isn't as if our sun is brutal. But I have a black interior (and top) and I would like to keep the sun from heating / damaging them. What do you guys think?

CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
For the last two years I have just been using a reflective folding cover that I put in the windshield everyday. It works well and I haven't had any problems. The best protection in my opinion is keeping the leather dash conditioned. That will protect the dash from UV, etc. and a reflector will protect the rest of the interior.

You can also buy something like this, but I am not sure how well it would work. With the top down it could flap around and scratch the paint.
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page19.html
Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #3

I have the screen that you place on the windshield that I bought from Porsche. It fits great and makes HUGE difference in terms of heat. I also have the factory tonneau cover....but it has been sitting in a box in my garage for about 7 years. I never took the time to instal so I can't give an opinion about this. Maybe I'll put it in one of these days....

But, go for the windshield screen from Porsche, fits and works great.

SB
Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #4

I got one of the Porsche sold folding ones. It folds up nice and comes with a
pouch that fits behind the seats. However, it feels quite hot to the touch
when I remove it from the windshield, so, it does not reflect the sun as well as
one of the cheap mylar ones.
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #5

CenterIsl: You have one of the best cockpit covers ever made by Porsche...it is called an electric convertible top!
No, I am not being flip, but after owning a 356 Cab and a 968 Cab for many years, I like you and the Bimmer cockpit cover, I found that to be just the ticket for not having to unbutton a bunch of tenax fasteners, pull off the tonneau cover and put the top up.

Now with the Boxster, I am in heaven. Sprinkle of rain, up goes the top. Stopping for lunch, up with the top. 15 seconds vs. a two man top and tonneau hassle, even tho the gray "shorty" cover you mentioned was great...unless it rained.

I also have the Porsche folding sunscreen. Got it on ebay.
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
For the last two years I have just been using a reflective folding cover that I put in the windshield everyday.http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page19.html
That's FOUR votes for the familiar mylar windshield screen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
You can also buy something like this...
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page19.html
Actually, that Boxster Cockpit cover was exactly what I'm used on using on the BMW. It worked great for me. In the PNW, we have a lot of tall evergreens that are always shedding needles and such, and I would like to keep that crap out.

Interesting that the tonneau cover wasn't installed. It just had that kind of look to it.

I _do_ like the power convertible top, but I'm always a bit leery of excercising such a complicated mechanism too much. Way back I had a Miata NA, and I just folded the top up but didn't latch it. In between the BMW and the (new to me) Boxster I had a Lexus SC430, and I definitely appreciated the folding hardtop - except it took too long for a casual stop. So...I wouldn't mind a solution that allows me to keep the top folded and yet keeps the sun - and tree junk - out.

The cockpit cover - and mylar screen - are each under $100, so I'm going to get those and see what I end up using the most.

Thanks guys!
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #7

I like the HeatShields from CanvasWorks. They are made to fit your windows exactly. I tuck them under the edge of the trim on the side of the windshield.

They roll up and are held rolled up with a strip of velcro. I keep mine on the passenger floor and throw them in the back trunk when I have a passenger. The shields for the side windows have suction cups to hold them in place. They work great, but they are tricky to put on right. If you don't get them on just right, the bottoms pop off when you open the door and window rolls down that 1/2". Otherwise, they are great. I've got them for all of my vehicles.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote