Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 04:55 AM   #1

'98 Boxster 2.5 manual - Differential oil leak

I didn't manage to find any threads about this issue. Here's the deal: The other day i noticed a drop of oil under my car. The clutch / RMS was replaced 6 months ago so I hoped it wasn't that. When i got the car up in the air i tracked down the oil leak to be on the right side (passenger side) of the differential where the drive shaft enters. In other words : My Boxster is leaking gear oil from the transmission. I also noticed a vibration in the car when pulling from low rpms in 4th and 5th gear at certain speeds. This was not an issue before i noticed this oil leak.

Has anyone experienced this ? I suspect the drive shaft seal and the drive shaft itself is worn (hence the vibration) ?

niba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #2

You are correct - sounds like the drive shaft bearing / seal is shot & requires replacing. Its probably best to replace the complete unit - but cost may be a prohibitive factor.....

Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote