Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #1

new owner with a question

I started out looking around at used 2006/2007 boxsters, but I ended up buying a new 2008 from the dealer when they made me an offer I couldn't refuse (they REALLY wanted to move it). It is guards red, black top, and optioned nicely with xenons, black heated sport seats, bose sound, dimming mirror, and a bunch of cosmetic options like seat crests, painted console & gauges, chrome exhaust etc. It had 112 miles on it at delivery. I absolutely love this car. Anyway, my question... Since this car was on the showroom floor for longer than usual, is there any maintenance that I should consider now? The dealer said to wait to at least 10K miles for oil change. Any thoughts on this?
Also, is the build date somewhere on the car, or do I need to ask the dealer to look it up?

jmc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #2

So don't hold out on us, what did you pay? I'm in the market for an '06 and am curious. Thanks,
Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #3

Hello & welcome JMC.

Others can chime in with their thoughts, but there shouldn't need to be any maintenance done now. But don't wait til 10K for the first oil change. Do it at 5K and then anywhere from 5-10K thereafter. There have been lots of discussions about oil change intervals, and the safest vs longest seems to be 7.5K. Pick a mileage you feel comfortable with.

Enjoy your new purchase.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #4

A recent owner changed oil at 500 miles and found

debris in the oil filter housing that made him glad he had changed his oil then. Since his other P-car is a Boxster with 210k+ miles on it and since he is in the business, his opinions are somewhat interesting. He has expressed his opinion that very soon after delivery, at maybe 1k miles again and at 5k and thereafter every 5k is about right.

Others who have studied the oil taken out of the cars in the lab recommend 5k and call the factory recommendations the worst kind of marketing BS.

You take your pick of who to believe.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #5

JMC - at least on the Australian model, the build date of the car is in the front bootspace (frunk) behind the left side carpeting. You will see 2 or 3 plastic push in plugs, remove them & pull back the flap to reveal the info.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
bmussatti

Do a proper engine break-in. Read your owner's manual about it.

I also recommend an oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark. And then every year or 5-7K miles, whichever comes first.

Sounds like a great car. Congrats!