Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
First Autocross Tomorrow

Hi,
So I've decided to go to my first autocross tomorrow, and I am really excited about it. I've been searching old threads and reading as much as I can trying to figure out how everything works, and prepping my Boxster. I've removed everything except for the driver's side floor mat for the drive there, and my BK fire extinguisher mount.
I was also wondering if the center caps on the wheels need to come off and what to fill the tires to, I've got 205/50/17 and 255/40/17 ?
Any other tips?
Thanks,
-Rick

Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #2

Fantastic!

I can't even remember my 1st AX it was so long ago, but I do remember becoming instantly addicted!

For a 1st-timer, be sure to carefully walk the course and try to commit it to memory - the less time you spend trying to find the next turn, the better you can set up for it. Also, go for smooth, not fast - smoothest is usually the fastest. Plan on only getting into 2nd gear, then put both hands on the wheel, you don't need the stick anymore, except when braking to downshift. Keep your eyes outside the car and always look ahead to the next turn, the car will go where you're looking - this takes some practice, but pays off bigtime. Be aware of the concept of the 'Free Run'... if you hit a cone, the penalty will knock you out so from that point on, use the run for practice, really let it out and try new things. Don't try to finish up in the upper eta's, you won't - just practice and have fun, that's what it's really about.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #3

rick, i know exactly how you feeling now...you want to make sure that everything is prepped and ready to go.

my suggestion, w/c I got from other board member but forgot who and now passing to you is....

*Dont worry too much about the small details...go out there and have fun..*

bring your helmet, driver license, entrance fee, water and sandwich for lunch..and that's all you need to enjoy it

and then if you are going to start competing...now start worrying about all the small details
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #4

+1 Awesome Rick! Yeah, just have fun and talk to others there regarding setup and try to get some rides with some experienced drivers if possible. Also, have someone ride with you. Like Lil B said just concentrate on smooth, fast will come later.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks for the tips, I'll report back afterward!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #6

good luck, rick and have a blast
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #7

Enjoy yourself man.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
*Dont worry too much about the small details...go out there and have fun..*
+1 on that.

Anything that people tell you will likely be clouded by the adrenalin as soon as that green flag drops.

Concentrate on learning the course and how the club our with operated and above all relax and have fun.

Then when you have a few events under your belt you can start considering car set up.

Give us a full report when you get back!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Just got back, and I placed first out of all the Porsche's there!

Jk, I was the only Porsche. I had a FANTASTIC time, everyone was great. I was racing in A-Stock, against a corvette, some 400HP subaru's, a saturn sky, and an S2000. Overall there where some corvettes, mustangs, a dune buggy, an Audi, a lot of subaru's, some hondas and a miata.

The only casualty of the day was an old guy in a brand new corvette, that spun about 400 feet into a pole, haha. I started slow with an instructor and managed 55 seconds, my second run was 48 seconds, third 47 seconds, fourth 46 seconds, and my last four where all 45 seconds, I got to 45.28. Although, during the fun runs they left the timer on and I managed 40.8 seconds. The fastest time was a race prepared vette that did 34.

I finished last in A-stock, but was the only newbie in that class, and it was a blast anyway. I can't say I was surprised the Boxster did so well since I knew she had it in her, although I was surprised that I did so well without any modification like some of the other people in other classes. All I did was inflate my tires, pop the spoiler, and get compliments for having such a pretty/clean car.

Thanks for all the tips, I am definitely hooked, and despite taking a few weeks on my tire's life and a few days off the clutch, I'll definitely be returning.

(I'll post pictures when they SCCA posts them.)
Old 05-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #10

Great to hear Rick! Go to a few more and the addiction will get severe.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #11

Brilliant!

Never under estimate a well made stock class car. Along with a few other cars the Boxster is well suited for autosports.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I think it is safe to say that I am hooked. I really enjoyed yesterday, and I like that you really only need a helmet and some painters tape. I probably won't be investing in racing rims or tires anytime soon, but I definitely be returning.
A stock Boxster is all you need, I managed not to hit any cones all day because the Boxster is so nimble.

And I just got these pictures!