Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #1

Need Advice - Coolant

I test drove a beautiful 2004 S with less than 20 k. After driving about 10 miles and parking, roughly a cup of coolant dumped on ground near right rear. The over flow tank showed way more than max fluid level in the tank. The reservoir cap was tight and the carpet in the trunk felt dry. The dealer mechanic racked it and could not find a source or repeat the problem. I love the car but this is a bit of a red flag.

Dealer is offering a 30day 100% warranty and a 5 day 100% refund.

Am a soon to be newbie owner of my first Boxster. Is this potential problem worth the risk?

chris64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:46 AM   #2

could be lots of causes - most of them minor especially since it dumped at the right rear. First, find out the last 2 digits on the coolant cap... it most likely s/b blue and end in .01 or higher (current version is .03). The .00 caps are notoriously known for loosing seal and causing the Boxster to relieve itself .

If cap is .01 or higher, have a pressure test and or dye test done on the cooling system (obviously they should pay for it).

Let us know what you find out and if they refuse pressure test, then yes I'd pass as problem could then be relief valve, cracked tank, water pump or a # of things that will cost $500+ to R&R

Good luck

PS- Where in OH are you located?

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 04-28-2009 at 04:48 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:04 AM   #3

I am in Cinci. Just moved here and love the hills and twists in the roads. Wnat something fun to enjoy them!

I just talked to a tech at the local Porsche store and he said an over filled reservoir would do the same thing. If they were overzealous in their pour, I could experience this issue.

Thanks for the advice, I will have them check the cap!
chris64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

I found a small coolant drop up in the front wheel well on a 986 I was looking to buy. I took the car and really test drove it hard 90+ MPH and got a slightly bigger drop. Turned out to be a cracked radiator. Deducted the cost from the price of the car.