Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #1

Poor porsche, Rich porsche

Hello

Do we buy the Porsche boxter because we are poor? Or we can’t afford carerra or turbo and other Porsche designs? And do we buy it because our passion to this car? And if the Porsche needs a tremendous budget to maintain, why don’t we be more realistic and buy a car which is more economical that saves money and does the same purpose which was invented for “transportation”?

*Wish that everyone reply me with an honest answer.

e7lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #2

911 cabrio was out of my price range and overpriced when I compared it to a Boxster S. I just don't see where the extra 25k or so is going...except in Porsche's pocket.

Last edited by Adam; 04-22-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #3

I bought my 986 S because I love the balance of the car, mid engine design, and overall physical aesthetics.

Additionally, I have always wanted to see if Porsche engineering was all that....well, IT IS and the car performs like no other I have ever driven.

Having said that, I purchased preowned to save myself the agony of serious depreciation, especially in this economic climate, but to also explore the Porsche brand with a little more conservative attitude.

You just have to know that even though these boxsters are less expensive than the 911's of same vintage, alot of the parts in 996 and 986 are interchangable.

Maybe someday I will get a 911, but it would be a cabrio as I love open air. They are hard to justify the expense though, and not just the initial purchase price, but also you need to factor in monthly insurance and the general maintenance, which unfortunately, is not like owning a Honda.

The boxtser is what got Porsche out of certain financial death too back in the 90's....so people should think twice about throwing up a nose at the car.

The boxster model is why Porschophiles can still purchase a 911 today. If they hadn't created the 986 series, then Porsche as a company might have become a thing of the past....and tell me how much that would suck???

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #4

I don't know if I completely understand your question, but I don't think poor people buy Porsches.

If it bothers you what other people think of a car you enjoy, you've got the issue not them.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #5

I'm only 22 years old and I'm really new to the workforce. So obviously, I bought the Boxster because there wasn't any other Porsche that I could afford. That's not a bad thing though, I've always liked the design and looks of the Boxster. Handles like a dream too. I remember looking at them when I was a teen and I knew I wanted a car like that when I could get one. Honestly, even if I had more money to spend, I more likely would have stuck with a Boxster(might have bought an S though).

Sure it was the only thing that I can afford at the moment, but that's not really a bad thing on my end considering that was what I wanted in the first place.
Immortal1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #6

Not exactly. The 911 is too mature of a car for young guy like me. I didn't care about Porsches or Boxsters before. I like cars, a self-proclaimed car enthusiast. I just knew I can't go wrong with a mid-engine car.

Going to local PCA meet is a strange experience for me, meeting all these 911 guys in mid-life crisis. They must be wondering how I got the car, maybe my parents let me borrow it for a drive.

Buying a 911 to most people is an event in itself. It means you got money, you want other people to know it and don't care about paying for one. It's the ultimate status symbol & prestige.

I hate to sound shallow, but this is what the general public perceive you driving in that car.

Just like some guy said in another forum, "I bought it just so when people ask me what car I drive, I tell them I drive a 911." At least he was honest.

Then again there's a whole flock of people who couldn't afford a Porsche before, but now they can due to the suffering car market. I guess I'd fit in that group since I just got mine about a year ago.

Then again what do I know, my last car was a Toyota Camry.

Last edited by ekam; 04-22-2009 at 09:46 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #7

I bought mine after I sat in one (it was a perfect fit) besides I have a thing for roadsters.

If I wanted a backseat i'd buy a stationwagon
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #8

I would not consider myself "rich" upper middle class maybe, mostly because I have no kids. I always wanted a Porsche, I was not completely aware of the ridiculous stigma between the model owners. My boxster was essentially an impulse buy, right car, right time, rms or ims be dammed I bought me a Porsche and I love it. I still want a 911 model some day though, in addition to my boxster of course :-)
I am rich in so many other ways

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #9

Honestly?...

I love the 550 Spyder inspired design much more than the 911. A Boxster has beautiful curves unlike just about every car produced that has hard edges in the body (i.e. BMW Z3).

Yes, a 911 is a better performing car in stock form (and probably modified too). Yes, you can get a 911 in a cabriolet. Yes, I only paid $18k for an '01 Boxster with 27k miles. But if I had my choice between a 911 and a Box with everything else being equal, I'd take a Box any day.

I like my Box because I sit about 4 inches off the ground and I feel like I'm in a kart on steroids. I like my Box because it's small and not a big GT type car. I LOVE how easy most repairs are on this car and I can do them myself. In the nearly 2 years I've had this car, it's been anything buy a money pit and hasn't required a "tremendous budget" to maintain. This is my daily driver too.

I've heard how the Box is the poor man's Porsche or a chick car, though I've seen very few women driving them. Don't care....don't care....don't care. It's a great car with great lines and it gives a great driving experience.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Last edited by impboy; 04-22-2009 at 03:32 PM.
impboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #10

I wanted a convertible.... a rag top.
The other convertibles just were too plain or too common. Like the boxster look, the ride the feel and plenty of luggage room for a week of vacation for two.

I'm not rich, that's why the car is ten years old. Its my second car. Since I grew up wrenching on everything (Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, Benz, Audi, Evinrude, Yanmar) I was not afraid to get a ten year old car.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #11

I bought mine for various reasons. I was in the market for a fun/toy car. The boxster was one of many cars I considered. I test drove a lot of sporty cars - includeing the Z, the S2000, the RX8, the EVO X, etc etc.

I bought my car from my dad - and the reason I was looking at the boxster among the other cars, was that after borrowing his car a handful of times - I honestly felt it was the most fun car I had ever driven. The combination of the handling and the top down experience made it so much fun.

I actually got a chance to drive my brother in law's 996 Carrera before I ended up buying my dad's boxster from him. I was expecting to LOVE it even more than the boxster - mostly because I assumed that the bigger/more expensive 911 must be "better". Well it was faster, but I honestly didn't think it was as fun to drive. It clearly is the more prestigious of the two cars - and if i was trying to impress someone, or wanted to roll up to a fancy hotel/restaurant and impress total strangers - I'd take the 911. If I was going out for a fun drive on a nice sunny day - I'd take the boxster every time.

My dad eventually decided to sell his car. I considered the S2000 and RX8, but ultimately, went for the boxster. I wanted a drop top and the S2000 was too buzzy/loud and unrefined. I accepted that the boxster would be more $$ to maintain - but I bought this car for fun not to be practical and rational.

The 911 is a great looking car and if I won the lotto tomorrow I think I'd buy a 911 turbo or GT3 - hell I'd buy both! But for a guy like me who is married, has kids, has a budget - the boxster is a great car.

No 911 envy here. Although I'd glady own/drive one!! I just don't lust after one or feel like I had to "settle" for a boxster.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #12

I've owned and driven 911s since I was in my late twenties, though I started with a 914 and moved "up" to 944s. My 911s have included everything from basic 3.2 Carreras, up to the pinnacle (at the time) 930 S turbo slantnose. I sold a nicely modified RS America to purchase my latest 911, a 1973 RS clone track car.

I bought my '02 Boxster S (pre-driven) because I instruct through several different car clubs and found the cars to be a blast to drive, plus they're topless.

My ultimate at the moment would be a GT3RS, but with two college age children, that isn't going to happen.

For what it's worth, my older brother got me hooked when I was just 16 and he bought a 1969 911S...wish I had that car today!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #13

This is an odd topic, it's like saying, do you rent a house because you are poor? And if you own a house, does that make you rich?

Like anything else, it's about your budget and how much you are willing to spend on a car...new or used. I love Porsche and would enjoying owning just about any one of them. If I could, I would own a 550, 911, and even a Panamera. I don't, so I guess I'm poor :ah:

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #14

My Boxster is a second car for me. My primary car is a Jaguar XJR. Even though the Jag is more expensive, I drive my Boxster whenever I get the chance. (when not driving my kids). It's not about money or status. It's about what I like. I could buy a 911 if I wanted, but I like the looks, handling and fit of my Boxster more than a 911. Hard to explain, but sometimes when I am driving I just feel like this car is exactly how I want a car to behave. I know other people on the forum feel the way I do.

Eric
P.S. I like the question. Makes one think about why we make the choices we make.
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #15

Talking Poor Man's Porsche?

I bought my Boxster because I was looking for a roadster. I couln't find any I liked and hubby suggested a Boxster. Once I took one out on a test drive, I was hooked! It was exactly what I was looking for. Is it a substitute for a Rich Man's Porsche? Not at all. I love the other Porsches but the Boxster is the one for me! < Permagrin rules!

DinNJ
SouthJerseyBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Fred Demara

I can only speak for myself.

I've owned a 911, a C6 Corvette and a e46 M3...hands down, the boxster is my my favorite track car. The corvette was a sloppy joke, the M3 was much to hard for everyday driving, and it was heavy. The 911 didn't have the balance the Boxster does.

btw, it's a boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by e7lew
Hello

Do we buy the Porsche boxter because we are poor? Or we can’t afford carerra or turbo and other Porsche designs? And do we buy it because our passion to this car? And if the Porsche needs a tremendous budget to maintain, why don’t we be more realistic and buy a car which is more economical that saves money and does the same purpose which was invented for “transportation”?

*Wish that everyone reply me with an honest answer.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #17

I bought my Box over the 911 because I did not want a back seat.

I have owned many sports cars such as Corvettes, Mercedes and other cars, mostly German. Never owned an Asian car though.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #18

Rich or Poor

Bought mine to cure a bad case of the fever. (new-different car) Good friend has had many Porsches and although I have admired them I never realy looked to own one. Ran across a 1999 Boxster on my way home from work one day drove it the next. Lucky for me it sold before I got sick. (New car fever) That lead to a few months of serious research and driving friends Boxster S. I looked at a great number of cars. The cure came by the way of a 2002 Seal Gray CPO Boxster W/hardtop. It almost wasn't a Boxster. When we were looking at the Boxster my wife almost bought a CPO Carrea. So it is not if your rich or poor it is what cures you. We are having fun with our new toy. Idaho is thawed out enough to put the top down now!
flyfisch
flyfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #19

I bought an old, high mileage Boxster because I wanted a Porsche and that's all I could afford. Had I been able to spring for a 911 turbo, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

I love the Boxster, but if I inherit a pile of cash I will put most of it in the bank for retirement and buy a 2 year old 997 TT with a 100k CPO warranty and drive the piss out of it every chance I get.

I'm loyal to the brand, not the model.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #20

I sold my box for a 911. I just recently sold my 911.

When my newest toy gets old, my next will be a 987s or CaymanS... Unless the 997 Cab turbo value plummets and I can swing that one.

I enyoy the heck out of the mid engined roadster and consider it the most fun car I have owned to date.

Last edited by maxferran; 04-22-2009 at 04:38 PM.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote