View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
drsmith

For me there are two types of people who buy a Boxster or Porsche in general...

A) The person that wants to buy into the lifestyle, the luxury, the prestige that comes with owning and driving a porsche

B) The enthusiast that is all about what the product can deliver, irrespective of whether it is a Porsche or a Kia

My Boxster is a 3rd car behind my Brand new Mercedes C300 4matic and a work cargo van. It was bought as a 'toy' and as such i would fall into category 'B'. When you think of 2 seater sports cars as 'toys' you see the usual suspects, Z3, Z4, S2K, Miata, SLK etc... all of which are good in their own right, but none offer the balance of a Mid Engined Sports car... the only other car i can remember that offers similar handling for a modest price was the old school Toyota MR2 (square boxy one and the newer one), these get used alot for track purposes in the UK and the newer style Turbo versions can be made to push out over 400BHP!? crazy figures.... but they lack the finesse and poise of Boxster the on track or on the street. If i wanted to throw a large amount of money at a 911 could i? sure i could, but just because you can doesn't always mean you should...

If you could work out a 'pleasure - $' ratio for the car, in my opinion the boxster would win hands down over almost all competitors.. does it help that it is a prestigious brand? yeah of course, but is it the only thing? no. I'm sure many Ferrari owners clubs have similar discussions regarding the older cheaper 308's, 355's etc.... however, what still remains is that they are all true thoroughbreds and were all built with the same passion and engineering precision as the other... the price points a personal thing, the core ingredients are the same.

People who worry about their image in a Boxster quite clearly are in group 'A' lol

Last edited by drsmith; 04-22-2009 at 04:27 PM.
drsmith is offline   Reply With Quote