Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #1

PSE exhaust

Well,

here is my thought on the exhaust. The installer had a ******************** of a time installing it when i got put in since the pipes were 1.5 and they rubbed against the bumper which made it look odd. The guy did a great job though installing it and the sound is close to that of lambo.. My wife though is ********************ing that is sounds so loud .. So i am thinking of replacing it . I have actually been in contact with this seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-986-Boxster-Boxster-S-97-04-Rear-Exhaust-System_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q 2el1262QQhashZitem250361695046QQitemZ250361695046Q QptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

He gave me a great price... So i think i might go for it and do some headers while i am at it .

Shoot me some offers.. shipping is going to vary on the location.. Looking for ideal amount for it .. since it cost me 120 for the stainless steel 150 for the muffler which has 11k miles and then 200 to install and fabricate the muffler .. so.. figure those in when u shoot me an offer. I will accept some trades but I would have to see what your offering.

Last edited by clb0099; 04-22-2009 at 10:08 PM.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #2

If i may ask, Is this a genuine PSE(Tequipment) or a hacked "Pedro" exhaust mod?
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #3

Garage
Check your Private Messages, I left one. I've got a proposition for you.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #4
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
If i may ask, Is this a genuine PSE(Tequipment) or a hacked "Pedro" exhaust mod?
It sounds like a "Pedro" mod to me......the 1.5 pipes and the inability to switch it on/off is a dead give away.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #5

FWIW, my 02 has the pse with no switch. I think that came as an option later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts
It sounds like a "Pedro" mod to me......the 1.5 pipes and the inability to switch it on/off is a dead give away.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
FWIW, my 02 has the pse with no switch. I think that came as an option later.

I learn something new every day......didn't know that. That sort of sucks. Part of the cool part of my PSE is the ability to go into quiet mode from time to time with the dash switch.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #7

It has what I would call wastegates, i'm not sure of the exact term. (i'm sure somebody can correct me).
At anyrate, you only hear it above a certain rpm. At idle it doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference than a non pse version, to my old ears anyways lol.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #8

The PSE functions 2 fold, it has/may be fitted with an electrical switch that will open/close the bypass pipe via vaccum actuators at will/at any time otherwise the PSE is always ON by default(without the switch). The actuator also opens the wastegate at a certain RPM range.
I personally didn't hook up the electrical vacuum switch because i prefer the system to be ON default at all times.

On comparing the PSE Tequiptment vs. Pedro mod.(VERY INTERESTING); the bypass pipes on the Pedro originates from the main inlet BEFORE the muffler can whereas the PSE Tequiptment bypass pipe originates FROM the muffler can to the tips... Airflow between the two muffler are different. ... I am sure that everyone who has the original PSE Tequiptment can verify the bypass pipe placement.

The PSE does not sound like the Pedro (or vice-versa). On Performance, no one really knows whether there is an increase or decrease with the Pedro mod. unless a scientific comparison is completed(perhaps Raby did the comparison study already).
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #9

Garage
It's a Pedro mod. on a standard, single oval outlet, muffler. He's looking to sell so if someone is looking for one, this is it.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #10

What does the PSE vs Pedro sound like?
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
Well,

here is my thought on the exhaust. The installer had a ******************** of a time installing it when i got put in since the pipes were 1.5 and they rubbed against the bumper which made it look odd. The guy did a great job though installing it and the sound is close to that of lambo.. My wife though is ********************ing that is sounds so loud .. So i am thinking of replacing it . I have actually been in contact with this seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-986-Boxster-Boxster-S-97-04-Rear-Exhaust-System_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q 2el1262QQhashZitem250361695046QQitemZ250361695046Q QptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

He gave me a great price... So i think i might go for it and do some headers while i am at it .

Shoot me some offers.. shipping is going to vary on the location.. Looking for ideal amount for it .. since it cost me 120 for the stainless steel 150 for the muffler which has 11k miles and then 200 to install and fabricate the muffler .. so.. figure those in when u shoot me an offer. I will accept some trades but I would have to see what your offering.

If your wife thinks that your muffler is too loud now, I bet she will hate the one you are looking at even more, not only from how loud it will be or end up being as it ages and burns out some but also from the drone inherent to that design.

For better a better exhaust note your best bet might be to pick up a stock muffler on the cheap and then do the CRIOS mod to it...start with a smaller drillbit and go up in steps until you get to an acceptable level. Just my .02 cents because $550 for a muffler is quite a bit to take a chance on.