Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #1

Washing the engine

Anyone have any tips or a link for cleaning the Boxster engine. I have taken the top off and all the carpeting is out so i wanted to clean the engine. One look and i am sure with 90k miles it has never been done.

Better to just clean with a rag or let'er rip with pressure from the local diy car wash?

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #2

how did u take all the carpet it out that must have been some find... mind sending some pictures and some steps to removing it. i am very curious
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #3

Garage
You have a garden hose and a squirter? Just try not to squirt directly on any electrical components. Don't fret if you do, they're moister and sand sealed. Most of crud you see is nothing more than dust anyway.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #4

I would absolutely stay away from anything that involves high pressure. You can clean the engine and engine compartment with various engine cleaning solutions, though you'd be very wise to find a way to keep the chemicals and the released dirt and grime off the rest of the car. Cover the alternator. Use a brush and use as little chemical as possible. Then rinse with low pressure water and do not direct the water at anything electrical.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #5

Tread lightly..

No harm in starting light - and yes from what I could is looked like mostly dust and a little grime. I think a little household cleaner, a rag and a light rinse might do it.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Fred Demara

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend
Anyone have any tips or a link for cleaning the Boxster engine. I have taken the top off and all the carpeting is out so i wanted to clean the engine. One look and i am sure with 90k miles it has never been done.

Better to just clean with a rag or let'er rip with pressure from the local diy car wash?
whatever you do, do not steam clean it. your electrical connections are sealed, but condensation from heat can cause water to form in your sealed connections.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #7

This thread I posted on a sister board may be useful:

http://tinyurl.com/co3yoy

"It talks about me seeing the engine for the first time and cleaning it with pics"

Bob
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #8

I clean my engine using S100 spray and washing it off with a hose. I use the S100 (bought at motorcycle shops) on my bikes to remove the grime and it works great on the car.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #9

Wink Piece of cake...

A little spritz - a little rubbing - and a quick spray from the hose.
In and out in about 15-20 minutes. 90k miles and basically just dust...I put some cardboard under the car but didn't need it. No more of a mess than brake dust.

Also finally found the drain holes - leaves and all kinds of junk down there. I used the vac in there and will hit them with compressed air - once I borrow my neigbors equipment.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #10

Why do you want to clean the engine? Do you think that will make it run better? My advice: leave it alone.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
Why do you want to clean the engine? Do you think that will make it run better? My advice: leave it alone.
++1... it's not like it's a Ferrari under Glass or anything... It is in fact, the cheapest Porsche you can buy !

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-03-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:23 AM   #12

When I washed my engine, I definitely noticed about a 10 HP boost...I do it every 6 months to get it running strong... Bob

http://tinyurl.com/co3yoy
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #13

Why do I want to clean the engine....

Because it is there.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #14

I learned a well-known trick for cleaning an engine compartment a year or so ago. Just get a big spray bottle of Armorall, and on a cool engine, spray everything in the engine compartment with it (metal, plastic, rubber, paint), then take a cloth towel and wipe it clean. The results are amazing, it takes only about 15 minutes, you don't get any water into sensitive areas, and it stays clean for a long time.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #15

I think one of the previous owners washed my engine, thus causing rust on bolts and the fuel rails. I finally got around to cleaning some of the surface rust on it the using Por15 treatment and paint to prevent any further rusting.
Chris

Last edited by Dragonwind; 04-06-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 AM   #16

Had to wash my engine. While replacing the air filter, I noticed that the previous owner had put some rat poison all over the engine. Other items that was there is dog food (serious rat problem!). It also has some oil dripped from the air/oil separator. I used a plastic table clothe and taped the bottom (large trash bag would work well) and pressure wash it without any problem. Sure looks nice afterward!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #17

Spray with Simple Green, lightly hose off, then wipe down with armor all. Here's mine, probably never cleaned in its 90k miles, before and after.

Later on, I wirebrushed and painted black the rusty engine cover anchor clips around the edge.

Cleaning makes it easier to work on, to locate mounting screws, to notice problems, etc. Also it's a cool looking engine and deserves it.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #18

I think the owner's manual states that washing the engine may remove some coatings that inhibit rust. It recommends that you reapply them after washing.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote