Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #1

Wind Noise

I have searched previous posts and not found this subject anywhere. I expected some wind noise with the top up when I switched from a 911 coupe to a Boxster, but my driver's side window is really noisy, even below sixty mph. The passenger side is much quieter. The seal appears to be soft and falling into place when the window is up. I've been considering going to a body shop, but I'm afraid they'll just drive it around and shrug or tell me I need a new top. Any suggestions?

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #2

I had the same issue. Did the top just replaced or have a new window put in the rear ?do you have a front license plate? If no from plate you get a whistle from the hood. Some self stick home depot weather stripping fixes that. If new top. Make sure that everything is tucked in correctly. I had a new window put in and everything functions as normal but they didn't tuck one little piece in and it was terrible wind noise from that. I hope this helps.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #3

Thanks Jaay. I just bought the car, so the noise came with the car. When you say "tucked in." Is there a diagram or some sort of instructions to make sure all is where it should be?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If it's the hood as JAAY mentions it can also be fixed by adjusting the hood latch to the correct height. I would recommend looking around the edges of the top (open it half way) and see if anything looks out of place, or is loose.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #5

303 aerospace protectant for your seals (or gummi-pfledge -- sorry, probably spelled wrong).

You can also research how to change the angle on your window. You can literally turn a screw inside your door that will change the angle of how the window meets your top. Also, research how to "reset" your window motor. You can hold the button down / then up in a certain way so the window re-learns what "all the way up" means. I"m not an expert, but search a little and you'll find a few things like this can be tried.

The aerospace protectant on my seals made a big difference.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #6

Thanks for all the input. The noise is definitely coming from the top edge of the driver's window. Does anyone know of a source for instructions or guidance on adjusting the window's angle or it's stop point?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
This site has some great information on the windows:
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/