Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

Question staggared wheel question.

My '02 has 17 x 7" up front and 17x8.5" in the rear. What would the consequences be if I also put 17x8.5" in front? The wheels would no longer be staggered so would this be a problem? Some of the 18" wheels have 8" in front and 10" in the rear so the stagger relationship is maintained. Any insight?

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

This post would be better answered in a race forum. I know autocrossers like the wider wheels in front so the car has a better "bite" at turn in. Larger front wheels also add additional stress to the front suspension members, so I would think they would need to be strenghtend.

Look at Acura's approach to P1 this year in ALMS. They run the same width wheel/tire front and rear...they didn't last very long at Sebring due to hydraulic issues (probably the same with your car).

Probably not the best idea for a street driven car.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The tire sizes are more important than the wheel sizes.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Allen,
What do you want to accomplish? When I first got my car the PO had installed some fresh cheapie 205 tires all around. Grip was lousy and the car was prone to oversteer. I have since switched to 225/255 and the car is much more balanced and predictable.

Some experienced track drivers run the same tire and wheel size front and rear (245 or 285).
Pros
Higher ultimate grip, zero understeer, rear of the car rotates easily, can swap race tires front to rear for even wear.
Cons
Higher steering forces cause the power steering fluid to boil more easily. A P.S. cooler may be needed. Heavy steering in low speed turns. Car will oversteer easily, more prone to snap spin. Scary in the rain as hydroplaning is much more likely with 245s up front.

If you are chasing a title at the track it may make sense for you. For a street car/weekend warrior the benefits of running the same size wheels/tires may be limited.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #5

Typically, the wider the tire up front, the less it has a tendency for understeer.

The downside is that your low-speed manuevering (think parallel parking) requires 'Ahhhnold' type work on the steering wheel due to the increased rolling resistance.

Street cars typically have inherent undesteer for a reason.

A totally 'neutral' car will tax the skills of an ordinary driver.

You really have to work (all the time) to control a 'neutral' car, and if you don't... or can't, it'll get away from you with little warning.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-28-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote