Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #21

also, two things to look out for:

1 - Dawn will rust your brake calipers. Use it once and only once. Once you Zaino -- from then on use their car wash.

2 - Take extra care to not splatter polish OR ANYTHING on your soft top. You put some polish on your buffer, turn it on & WHAM, now your cleaning your soft top and look...the polish leaves a stain...

Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
2 - Take extra care to not splatter polish OR ANYTHING on your soft top. You put some polish on your buffer, turn it on & WHAM, now your cleaning your soft top and look...the polish leaves a stain...
That brings up another question (...sorry to hijack the thread) : What does everyone use on their soft tops? I use Raggtopp cleaner and protectant. Anybody found anything better?
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #23
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S
That brings up another question (...sorry to hijack the thread) : What does everyone use on their soft tops? I use Raggtopp cleaner and protectant. Anybody found anything better?
Currently using 303 fabric protector.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #24
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S
Been using Ragg Topp for 3 years now. Just did 4 coats (entire can) about 2 weeks ago when I took the car out of winter hybernation. I used the Ragg Topp cleaner in the Fall before I put her away. Did not have time to re-seal prior to storage.

Top looks better then the day I took delivery from Germany.

Trick is not to use any soaps, when washing the car, on the top. Just water. Leaf blower dry. And then use the sticky tape roller thingy.

Lots of owners mask of the car when using Ragg Topp. This is not really necessary. Just a few strategically placed towels here & there is all you need. Wipe off excess from glass. Remaing clean-up, I just used a quick detailer (F425- PL's favorite!).

I waited about 20-40 minutes between coats. Heated garage. Between coats I bush with an ox hair paint brush (dry), vacuum, and sticky tape roller. Repeat.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #25

Top is no problem

I took the top off to have a new rear window sown in. So I am doing everything topless. BTW made it quite wasy to clean the engine, get at the rear drains and clean up some crud in the back.

Dawn is strong - took everything right off - a little more than I expected.

BTW anything else I should do once the top is off and I have free acess to the engine???

Oh and I will killed for this - but in a pinch I used duct tape and plastic to cover the back window (better than water damage) but now duct tape residue on the top. A citrus goo and adhesive remover??
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
also, two things to look out for:

NEVER turn your orbital buffer on until you've placed it against the auto and smeared a bit of the compound around. This is taught in the instructional videos.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote