Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #1

Paint / Clear Coat Question..

Hey guys, I had the unfortunate accident of allowing a personal friends detailer detail the exterior of my car. The reason being was apparently he used a rubbing compound that tore the hell out of my clear coat and has left swirl marks on the car. I only found the problem after the wax wore off... Since then Ive had the car buffed several times and still, almost no improvement.

Do you guys know if it is possible to have a new layer of clear coat put on to correct the problem? I dont want to spend 6k on a new paint job on a 10k car. I would just like for the car to look better. Instead of looking 12 years old, the paint looks 20 odd years or more, its quite depressing.

Any comments would be appreciated.

PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
Wow! He must have been using something really aggressive. Clear coating the car is an option, but it will probably need to be at least wet sanded to even things out. Not cheap! Do you know what was used that tore the clear coat up? How about what it's been buffed with since then that didn't work?
I know that many of the cars I detail look pretty bad after stripping the old wax and claying them, but the buffer and Griot's fine (3) or very fine polish(4), and then a coat of P21S wax really brings things around.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #3

Go to autopia.org to the forums section. Look under the professional detailers part and find one local. Trust me, these guys know exactly what they are doing and if it can ne fixed, they will fix it. Sorry about the trouble
hobbstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses, I wish I knew what the first guy used on it. This occurred in the spring of last year and since then Ive had the car professionally detailed twice at a highly reputable establishment. After the wax wore off both times, BAM! Horrible swirls and marks. I believe they wet sanded it on of the times with almost no improvement. The paints 12.5 years old and from the beatings, rain, snow, sun, etc. I doubt the clear coat can be fixed, well whats left of it. Does anyone know the ballpark price of having one resprayed?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
bmussatti

PlayersExpress,

1) You need better friends!

2) The guy that did that "work" to your car is NOT a detailer, for sure

3) Call this guy. He does all the high end sports cars up on the north shore. He can steer you right regarding a re-spray:

Joe Young
Ultimate Paint
28865 Nagel Ct
Lake Bluff, IL 60044
(847) 295-7404
Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 AM   #6

You might also check with Tom Snellback at the "Last Detail"

http://www.thelastdetail.com/location.html

Tom does amazing work and just a trip to his shop is a fun filled experience.

He's performed magic on some of my cars, as well as friend's.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #7

...or, you can just keep the wax on it fresh so that the marks don't reappear. Isn't taking the recommendation of friends how you got into this mess to begin with?

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #8

I have had good luck with Klasse All in One and Sealer. If you use multiple coats of the sealer and let it sit overnight it does an impressive job on the finish.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #9

Haha, thanks for all the help and pointing me in the right direction. I trust you guys more than anyone else about these cars. As for friends, I do have some great buddies Ive been friends with for the last 12 odd years. The one in particular that recommended me this guy, lets just say hes out of the picture for 5-7 years. Thats what stealing a new Vett off the GM lot we both worked last year will getcha.

Personally if I was going to boost a car and knew Id get 5-7 years I'd have at least made it a 997 Turbo.

But honestly in all regards the car is a 50 footer, not like it used to be. It makes me want to cry every time I see it, untill I rev the engine.. then its all good.