Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 AM   #21

I fixed my issue last night. I first tried siphoning oil through the dip stick and that didn't work (wasted $5 on a siphon pump).

So I raised the rear of the car and removed the oil filter. I had to restart the car and remove it 2x to get enough oil out. Now I'm within the range bars (2 ticks above the low setting) so the oil guage wasn't lieing after all. What was weird was when I took the car back to the guys the dip stick was within range but the guage said over filled but when I let it sit over night the dip stick said that it was too full.

So word to the wise, change the oil yourself!

Thanks for the tip Lil Bastard.

-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
I the dip stick was within range but the guage said over filled but when I let it sit over night the dip stick said that it was too full.

So word to the wise, change the oil yourself!

Thanks for the tip Lil Bastard.

-Steve

I just recently changed the oil and happened to overshoot my next day top off! A similar thing happened to me, the dipstick indicated low, so I added 1\2 qt and it still indicated low. I allowed the car to sit overnight and lo and behold, the dipstick indicated about 1\4" overfilled, and the gauge read one bar over the fill level. So now I have to decide if about 1\4" over on the stick is worth pulling the oil filter cannister or letting it ride. I'll probably stress on it and end up draining the cannister.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:43 AM   #23

Exactly! It drove me nuts until I lifted the back end and dropped the filter. Now I can sleep better at night!

Good luck,
-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote