Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #1

To All Tall Drivers who drive a Manual...Quick Q's

Hello:

I'm new to this forum and currently debating between a used boxster, Z4, and S2000. It's gotta be a convertible and manual smile.gif I'm 6'2" and concerned with working the clutch in the boxster.

Yesterday I sat in a boxster and noticed that the steering wheel couldn't tilt up. Is that right? I'm I not finding the lever to tilt up? Because of this I couldn't comfortably place my feet and my knees were hitting the steering wheel. Do other tall drivers have this issue?

I test drove the Z4, which permits the steering wheel to tilt up so it wasn't an issue.

Apologies if the questions are pretty basic. I'm completely new to these cars.

Thanks,

PJ

phatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #2

There is a stalk / handle on the lower rt side of the steering column. Twist it clockwise and it will allow you to adjust the wheel up / down, and in / out. It's not the traditional tilt wheel but should allow you to raise it enough to clear your legs. While I'm slightly vertically challenged (5'10"), there are many tall forum members who don't seem to have any problems.

Hopefully you'll find a Boxster to your liking. Great time to buy.

PS.
30 yrs ago my dad and I would buy wrecked cars from Stafford's in Montgomery. Stopped by there a couple of summers ago and said hello. Great people.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #3

First gen Boxster's steering wheel does not tilt up. I'm 6'2" and I fit fine.

Good luck trying to drive on the S2k.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #4

I've owned a Z4 and then a boxster...no comparison...get the boxster.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #5

Garage
I am 6'2" and although I can not comment on the Z4 I did try the S2000 before I bought my Boxster, the Boxster is snug in a nice way the S2000 felt cramped to me,my car has the GT3 center console delete option too which seems to give a little more leg room for operating the clutch.(although on a left hand drive car this would not really help!)

Last edited by Christian H; 03-21-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #6

I'm 6'4". I tried sitting in the Z4 but my head touched the roof. Therefore eliminated it from consideration. I fit quite nicely in my boxster. The peddles are a little to close together with my new balance shoes on but I dont race it so it's not a real issue. You should do fine in a boxster.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #7

I am 6'2" and have no issues fitting in the 986. Lots of headroom and comfortable sitting/clutch/shifting position. Bob
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #8

It isn't the height of the driver

sometimes but the proportion that is from the seat to the feet or the torso length that gives one person the fit and another of the same height the pain.

Boxsters can be modified to remove the 2 lower center console boxes to allow a splaying of the legs to give more room. The seats can also be lowered from their stock mountings.

I drove a Z4 when considering a sports car after doing without while I paid for kids. I was back at the dealership in 2 blocks knowing that one was off my list (and I'm not anti-BMW as I had loved the '70 2002A I had owned). The Boxster had me within a mile. But if you don't fit.....it isn't the car for you.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #9
bmussatti

6'2" and fits great. I have more head-room in the Boxster than I do in my Ford Explorer.

The 987 has slightly more head and leg room than the 986.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #10

I'm almost 6'2" and I just barely fit comfortably in my 03 Boxster S. When I bought it last October I also looked at the Z4 and S2000. I drove samples of all three cars back to back at dealerships that were next door to each other and since I drove the Boxster first, it set the bar pretty high.
I also really liked the Z4 and it was close call for me. The 3.0L is a lot more fun to drive than the 2.5L. I just liked the way the Boxster handled a little better along with the extra trunk room. I also liked that the Boxster in this vintage had a spare tire and didn't require run flats. (If your looking at an 05 or newer your stuck with run flats anyway). Both cars were very nice.

The S2000 rode very harsh and the engine wasn't very exciting unless you drove around all the time over about 6500 rpms.

Dave S.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #11

I'm 6'3" and weigh 225 and I fit in the Boxster fine. I had a Solstice before this and I actually have more room in the Boxster. I think it's a very comfortable car. The pedals don't seem that close to me. I have a '98, 5 speed manual. I thought the pedals on the Solstice were closer and you had no room to move your feet around. The Solstice had a very tight floor board.
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #12

Tall Drivers and Safety

Hi, I'm 6'-4" and I fit my 1999 Boxster fine for purposes of driving except sometimes my right leg hits the cruise control. If it was that big a deal, I could take out the console but it doesn't affect me. HOWEVER, you should know that there may be a safety problem for you, which is the height of the roll bar. For the 1997-2004 models, the seats aren't high enough and a tall driver's head may strike the roll bar in the event of a rear-end collision. There is hard padding on the roll bar, and in my case, the blow would would be glancing, but it is enough of a concern that I wouldn't have bought the car had I realized this. My advice is to sit in the car, adjust it to yourself, then move your head back and see if you will hit the roll bar. If you do, I wouldn't buy that car. You could go to a 2005-up Boxster, which has more headroom and eliminates the problem.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #13
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S.
I also liked that the Boxster in this vintage had a spare tire and didn't require run flats. (If your looking at an 05 or newer your stuck with run flats anyway).
Correction.

Dave, the 987 (2005 and newer) does NOT have run flat tires.

We DO have a can of fix-a-flat and a built in air compressor. And, hopefully a cell phone and a cell tower near-buy, so we can call Porsche Roadside Assistance!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Correction.

Dave, the 987 (2005 and newer) does NOT have run flat tires.

We DO have a can of fix-a-flat and a built in air compressor. And, hopefully a cell phone and a cell tower near-buy, so we can call Porsche Roadside Assistance!
Thanks for correcting my mistake. I thought after '04 they all came with run flats. Either way, I still prefer to have a spare tire on board.

Dave S.