Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #1

Talking I finally got to drive my 3.6L Boxster!!

Well long story short I blew my 3.2L about 4-5 months ago. Since then I bought a 3.6L to put in there and asked my Porsche specialty shop to do it. It has been pretty gruelling as they have never done it before and ran into some issues but finally yesterday I got to drive it with the MAF sensor unplugged. The car runs fine with it unplugged but with it plugged it misfires under 5K so they are still working that issue.
Anywho on to the driving expereince. As soon as i pulled out of the shop i noticed the massive torque increase on the lower RPMs!! It felt as fast from 3-4K then my old boxster did from 5-7K! so then i reach a open road and let it rip, and all i can say is this is well worth the wait and $$$!! It sounded like a freakin jet engine! So after goosing it in 1st and 2nd gear a few times and getting this huge smile on my face i had to return it He has said he has tried everything to fix it including new MAF, new sensors, checked ECU, etc and now he is going to check the O2 sensorsa nd if thats not it check Todd's re-wiring of the harness so hopefully i get it back soon. Gosh i sure do miss that thing especially with the weather being as nice as it has been.
Some notes on the engine; came from a 2004 Carrera C4S, and i think it has the X51 package (said on the reciept).

BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
bmussatti

How many miles were on the 3.6L prior to the transplant? Did you upgrade your clutch too?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #3

the 3.6L had about 40K and came with a 1 year warrenty. Yes i bought a new clutch and flywheel. It did seem to shift smoother also.

Last edited by BoxsterLewis; 03-19-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #4

It isn't the wiring harness, tell gordon to call me and I'll tell him how to fix it.
I hope you aren't paying for them to throw parts at the thing to try and fix it.
-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #5

I did pay them a lot for like cam angle sensors and other sensors that werent compatible. today he replaced a bad O2 and it fixed it! I have the car now finally! Thanks for your help Todd. The boxster feels like another machine with the 3.6 in it!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

If you are running a 7.8 DME, which is what I wired your harness for, there is no incompatibility with any of the sensors on the 3.6 motor.

-Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
I did pay them a lot for like cam angle sensors and other sensors that werent compatible. today he replaced a bad O2 and it fixed it! I have the car now finally! Thanks for your help Todd. The boxster feels like another machine with the 3.6 in it!
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #7

can you give us a ballpark estimate what this cost you for the motor and the labor to do the swap?

if/when mmy 2.7 goes on my 2000 - this would be one awesome swap to do - just don't know if the cost would be worth it. i'd love to know what this set you back - if you don't mind sharing.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #8

6K for engine, about 5K in parts, and my shop charged me 40 hours of labor at 85.00 when it took them about 75 hours.