Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster1
Can I drive on a track?
Yes you can!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk4g-85ZQpM
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I know nothing about track driving either. I'm scared to take my own car on a track because I really worry about something happening and my insurance won't cover it. I have to admit I'm also a little nervous about looking like an ass in front of other people since I know nothing about tracks, track driving, etc. I'd really prefer to do something where I can use a car provided by Porsche. I've seen those advertised.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #3

As an instructor I like to see novice drivers taking schools and learning the finer points of driving even if they never race.

I recently convinced my GF to take the boxster to a 'skills day' at a local track (ex. airport) with the local PCA. It was a well set up event with all kinds of instruction that taught total novices and multi-time participants.

Danielle was totally nervous about breaking my car because she knows how much I love it. I finally convinced here that there was nothing that she could do to it that I didn't do on a daily basis. After the event she was far less nervous and really enjoyed herself as well as learned a lot. I think I got her hooked.

I have seen a number of people wreck cars at DE's and Auto-crosses and 98% of the time it was because someone did something stupid and was not listening to the instructor. Many times total novice drivers in incredibly over powered highly strung cars. With those very rare exceptions its fairly safe to drive at these events. They are set up with safety in mind and in my opinion, especially Porsche's, the cars enjoy being driven to the limits.

I would suggest lower speed events to begining with before big track DE's. Lower speeds are far more forgiving until you really know what the car is capable of before pushing the higher speeds.

Besides all this training makes you a more alert and better driver on the street too! It's saved my ass a few times I know.

But be careful.... you get too into it and you end up where I am building your former daily driver into a full blown track beast (944).
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
^^^

That's cool that your girlfriend took your boxster on the track. That makes me feel a little better about eventually doing it. I guess I'm scared of coming off looking like the dumb girl that shows up and can't drive in front of everyone.

and wow, 230K miles on your 944? I miss mine every time I see one. I soooo loved that car.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
^^^

That's cool that your girlfriend took your boxster on the track. That makes me feel a little better about eventually doing it. I guess I'm scared of coming off looking like the dumb girl that shows up and can't drive in front of everyone.

and wow, 230K miles on your 944? I miss mine every time I see one. I soooo loved that car.
Generally I find that the "dumb girls" are far better students at the track, and outperform the guys. Women listen and learn, whereas the guys are all caught up in going as fast as they can to prove how macho they are!

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #6

LoveBunny and Boxster1, please consider a Skills Day as 944boy mentioned. You will learn some basic skills that will build a good foundation if you decide to continue with a DE at a track facility. Most of skills are learned at realitively low speeds where you won't be putting your car or warranty at risk. They are a really good first step. Even if you don't go on to a track, these skills will make you a better driver every day on the street. We've had drivers come back and tell us that what they learned at a Skills Day helped them avoid an accident rather than become one. Many clubs also offer women and/or teen Skills Days.

Then when/if you go to a track, take a PCA or BMW school as you will get quality instruction at a bargin price and learn how to drive safely at speed. We all learn so many bad habbits from just driving around the US that will lead to an incident on a track if not corrected. To give you an idea, most drivers take several years (that's right, I said years) to become a mid to upper level driver with quality instruction. This is something that can't be appreciated until you've done it. There are exceptions where someone is a natural, but this is the norm. Just going to a track on your own, if it were financially possible, would only reinforce our natural bad habbits and probably end up with you hitting an immovable object.

I'm not sure about the Boxster, since I track my M3 but many cars don't like to go in circles for extended periods without modifications to the oil systems. BMW E30s and Minis will end up with oil starvation and impending doom (or should I say engine boom) in prolonged left handers.

Have fun but most of all, stay safe.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
^^^
I guess I'm scared of coming off looking like the dumb girl that shows up and can't drive in front of everyone.
Everybody is a beginner at everything at some point - just look how many years it takes to learn how to walk.

Never, ever worry about what other people are thinking about you. They are mostly worried about what other people are thinking about them! A waste of brain power either way.

The truth is, most people are encouraging and enthusiastic whether its your first time out or you are a veteran competing to get FTD [Fatstest Time of the Day].
This is true of well grounded people no matter what you are doing. There is no expectation from me that some day I will be remarkable at the track. Maybe, maybe not. I am having fun all the same.

As far as being scared of anything, the hardest thing for me is to walk in to a sea of strangers and start trying to make them familiar friends. And being female, the hardest experience is when men think you are hitting on them because you are being friendly. It was weird but now I know - plus not all men are like that.

Good advice in this thread if you are considering new ways to play with your car. I think you will like it.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #8

The closest track to us, Reno\Fernely Raceway has several open track days per year. We found about the last one on the SCCA's web site for our region. The track day was free, and we were paced by a pace car (duh). We have another one comming up this month, and we will be attending. I would look into the same thing in your area. Good luck! It was SO MUCH FUN! and it was behind a pace car!
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote