View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #20
wconley

LoveBunny and Boxster1, please consider a Skills Day as 944boy mentioned. You will learn some basic skills that will build a good foundation if you decide to continue with a DE at a track facility. Most of skills are learned at realitively low speeds where you won't be putting your car or warranty at risk. They are a really good first step. Even if you don't go on to a track, these skills will make you a better driver every day on the street. We've had drivers come back and tell us that what they learned at a Skills Day helped them avoid an accident rather than become one. Many clubs also offer women and/or teen Skills Days.

Then when/if you go to a track, take a PCA or BMW school as you will get quality instruction at a bargin price and learn how to drive safely at speed. We all learn so many bad habbits from just driving around the US that will lead to an incident on a track if not corrected. To give you an idea, most drivers take several years (that's right, I said years) to become a mid to upper level driver with quality instruction. This is something that can't be appreciated until you've done it. There are exceptions where someone is a natural, but this is the norm. Just going to a track on your own, if it were financially possible, would only reinforce our natural bad habbits and probably end up with you hitting an immovable object.

I'm not sure about the Boxster, since I track my M3 but many cars don't like to go in circles for extended periods without modifications to the oil systems. BMW E30s and Minis will end up with oil starvation and impending doom (or should I say engine boom) in prolonged left handers.

Have fun but most of all, stay safe.