Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #1

What's wrong with the 996TT?

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a 996 twin turbo but just can seem to figure out why all the magazines like the GT3 and GT2 better? Is the 996TT a hunk of junk (sounds like the motor is pretty solid)? Is the AWD a POS? I drove one but they aren't exactly going to loan it out to me to see how it handles at an autocross of at the track. The acceleration was amazing but that's not the only thing I'm looking for.

Does the GT3 (GT2 is a little out of my price range) use a variation of the same motor that has the IMS concerns?

I sure do love my Boxster but I've always dreamed of a Turbo! Not sure what I'll do but wanted to see what is wrong with the TT.

Sammy

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #2

I was just about to call my insurance for a quote on one. A colleague clued me into an enthusiast/millionaire owned '03. He has many many cars, so its in good condition. Waiting to hear on price.

The Turbo Carrera is considered by the Porsche head of motorsports as "the jewel of the crown"....if you like a big heavy, somewhat disconnected GT's. That guy is really drinking the Kool-Aid. The Turbo obviously has a Great engine, if the C2 and C4 came with a real GT1 block dry sump too I wouldn't even consider the Turbo. But man what a screaming deal for a 'winter beater'. It's also the most reliable Turbo Carrera so far.

I would add it to the stable so I can park my Boxster during winter. I really want to hold onto the 986S for 30 years. The good Porsches never look out-dated.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-15-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #3

Price of admission rises quite a bit with a TT, whether 996 or 997. Mod costs rise a great deal too.

Just know you just need some serious cash to play in that realm, but either model is an incredible time attack vehicle and the limits of the machine are way beyond most driver capabilities.

I have a buddy with an '01 996TT with 15k on it...basically babied, but I will attest that not much out there could touch it. The 4wd system keeps it stable as hell.

If I bought one, or his, I would chip it as turbo's respond well to that, plus add a complete exhaust with headers. But these two things alone can / will cost you thousands.

I would do a little research before purchase to see what you could be out. It's not at all like boxster ownership.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #4

I've been thinking about picking one up too. My problem is the slippery slope of modifications: I would probably promise to limit myself to coilovers, and maybe wheel - but then I would start thinking about K24s, then I would need different diverter valves, then wastegates, and on and on. I do think it would be fun to get one and then do subtraction (weight, that is), wiper and back seat deletes, lighter battery, etc. You can even get a carbon fiber roof that deletes the sunroof and takes 100 lbs off where you least need it.

It might be better to just look at GT3s, since they are dipping into the 60s. I wouldn't want to do anything to one at all except drive it.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #5

"Turbo Carrera" Sorry, that terminology left us in the '70s.

The 996TT is a fast, but very big and heavy car. The reason most of us like the GT3 better is it's "tossabilty" and high reving engine. GT2 is a whole other story.

The engines in these cars are not M96 based, but more like their air cooled cousins with water jackets. Dependability is great, as long as you don't over-rev.

You really need to drive these cars to see if their personality blends with what you're looking for out of a car. I've driven my friend's X51 optioned turbo numerous times, but would still take a GT3 any day.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #6

All I can think of when I dream of owning a TT is the fact that I buy and hold my sports cars for a loooooooong time and I'm gonna have to replace that turbo sooner or later and it's gonna be painful.

Buying the GT3 preowned seems like a smarter move... but then I read the GT3 motor doesn't last nearly as long as the motor in the TT (I could be wrong on that).

So either way, owning one of these high dollar Porsches is gonna be spendy and continue to be spendy through my years of ownership.

But I still dream and will keep dreaming. One day
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #7

I WILL own a GT3 some day. Turbo's are great cars, I want own a 993 TT in the future. But for racing, I would much rather have a GT3 than anything else. TT's are great drivers and fairly reliable. I wouldn't say the parts are any more expensive nor are they any less reliable. There is just that many more things to fail in any turbo system vs N/A.

996's are the least favorite body style for many Porsche fans, so with the exception if the top two models (GT2 + 3) the values are dropping with the newer models. It's not that there is anything wrong with them. There are some great values in the 996 model range.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #8

Hmmmmmmmmmm, jumping from a Boxster to a 996TT?

IMHO the Boxster is the perfect understatement car while the 996/997 TT is a "show-off" car. I see a disproportionate number of 996/997 TT
a) with automatic transmission
b) driving as "moving speed bumps" at track days (yes they are FAST on the straights = torque and hp, but slow in the turns = driver's skills).

Yes, I dream of owning a GT3 but not a TT
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #9

I see the TT as Porsche’s marquee sports car with all the bells and whistles. The GT3 is the raw essence of a sports car. According to Porsche the GT3 is a street car for occasional track use, and the GT3 RS is a track car for occasional road use.

One of the guys in our club owns a GT3 but he didn’t feel safe taking it out for our monthly drive yesterday. Rain was predicted and those Pilot Sport Cup tires only like dry pavement.

I also think the limited production run of the GT3 increases their desirability.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
The 996TT is a great car. A World Class Supercar. When shopping for a Porsche I thought I needed one until I drove a couple. Just too much car for me. Too big, too heavy, no use for AWD, no use for 200mph top speed. I really wanted a fun, tossable pure sports car. Once I drove a few Boxsters I was hooked. If my car was stolen or wrecked I would consider another Box, Cay S, or GT3.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #11

by the way,
For all you guys that would like to replace your Boxster for a GT3. I guy in my local autox club did just that 986-> GT3 -> GT3 RS (the orange one). His comments about the GT3 echo many that I've heard and one I experienced one day when I was passenger on a long rainy drive in one. The car in the wet is VERY unpredictable. One minute we were chugging along fast and a split second later...oh boy. That car got loose with all that power and you're just a passenger.
No warning, no flashing red light, nada. SCARY......That right there cured me of ever thinking about replacing the garage fun mobile for one of those. With a wrong or bad alignment, after hitting a really bad pot hole, the car is downright dangerous.
Now if you live in an area where the roads are mostly flat and smooth no problem.

by the way the GT3/2 and the TT all have the engine block used in the Cup Cars.
The other Carreras do not. So you get much better value than a C4S or C2 in terms of engine for these dirt cheap prices nowadays.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-16-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
bmussatti

Sammy, I'll have fun trying to keep up with you on the Dragon or the Twisted Pickle, if you decide to get the 996TT.

Are you expecting kids? Is that why you need a fast car with a back seat?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Sammy, I'll have fun trying to keep up with you on the Dragon or the Twisted Pickle, if you decide to get the 996TT.

Are you expecting kids? Is that why you need a fast car with a back seat?
By the sounds of it, the TT can't handle worth a hoot so I'm betting I would be trying to keep up with you! Of course, all this talk has me thinking GT3 but this is just a tad beyond what I was thinking of spending...

I took Nicole out of storage yesterday so I'm back in love with my Boxster again. It's hard to replace the top down experience!

No kids on the way, just a child hood dream that could become a reality... One week I'm all about buying a Turbo but the next week I love the Boxster!

Are we going to try and get together at the TOD/Twisted Pickle this year? I'm always up for an excuse for lots of top-down/fun driving!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #14

Wanna make your head spin, look at this fella's deal... no affiliation at all... Im just a dreamer.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/164875-fs-02-ttx50-45k.html

I would love a TT... However, I just sold my 996 for a GX470 for the wife because I have a second child in route. It will be 20 more years before my 911 dream comes back to reality.

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote