Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #1

Garage
Keys and FOB's for Boxster

Does anybody know the straight scoop on getting a spare key for your Boxster, there are keys and FOB's for sale on ebay, their ad usually says it has to be RE-PROGRAMMED by the porsche Dealer.

I call the Porsche Dealer and they tell me the key can only be programmed once and it must have a bar code with the key before it can be programmed.

The other Porsche Dealer here tells me they need my Vin number to order a pre programmed key from Porsche.

The people on ebay and elsewhere are telling me the Porsche dealers can re-program and cut a key if they want to, but they tell everybody these things to get you to but the key from them. and they want 345.00 for a key. 216.00 just to cut one.

The folks selling keys also say a 2 or 3 button key can be re-programmed to just be remote access, The Porsche Dealer says no.

So, I'm totally confused on what the real truth is, does anybody know?

fredpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #2

The key blade can be copied from an existing key to function mechanically. If you don't have a key to be copied one has to be ordered from germany based upon your vin.

Any key can be reprogrammed to run your car (match the transponder) as long as you have the learning code for your car, which is matched to your vin and available through the ipas system

The remote function of a key can only be programmed to work with a new car if you have the original bar code tag that came with the replacement key, all the used keys on ebay, fail this criteria.
The bar code coupled with the learning code will allow you to reprogram the remote functions to a new vehicle.

-todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #3

Garage
Thank You

Thanks very much this was all very confusing to me, I guess I will just spend the 345.00, then I know it will work, I've never heard the term IPAS System.
fredpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #4

key reprogramming

it's just one of those things that will be really dealer dependent.
but if you shop around maybe check with Suncoast Porsche you might get a better deal.
i would'nt gamble buying one from e-bay, you'll be stuck with a useless key if it does not work!
in my case, this was one of the things i specified in writing when i made my offer.. there should be at least two (2) sets of keys included.. i really did'nt mind if it didin't come with the valet key.. guess what? they could not produce the second key so i have to settle at paying 1/2 of the amount $140, and still pay the dealer here another $60+ tax to reprogram.. oh well, a minor hitch in getting my 04S but is all worth it!
good luck. :dance:
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
pk2

Tholyoak called it all, Ebay keys are great if you want to impress you friends with key chain full of Porsche keys. I've only seen one that had the proper I.D. Went for about & $90.

I love how they state "will it work, we don't know...key of mystery" like carnival barkers.

Regards, PK
Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #6

I also needed a spare and had my local dealer order, cut and program a non-remote blank all for around $120.00 a few months ago. They were less than Suncoast, and they would not be responsible for a key that I brought to them that ended up not working after they cut it.

After unlocking the door, you should put the key directly into the ignition so the code is recognized. Otherwise, you will set off the alarm if you try popping a trunk lid on an '01. This is what the dealer told me.

Still a lot at 120.00, but far better than the 3 to 400 I was initially given. Hopefully I'll never need it!
swaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #7

Welcome swaro!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaro
I also needed a spare and had my local dealer order, cut and program a non-remote blank all for around $120.00 a few months ago. They were less than Suncoast, and they would not be responsible for a key that I brought to them that ended up not working after they cut it.

After unlocking the door, you should put the key directly into the ignition so the code is recognized. Otherwise, you will set off the alarm if you try popping a trunk lid on an '01. This is what the dealer told me.

Still a lot at 120.00, but far better than the 3 to 400 I was initially given. Hopefully I'll never need it!
Well, my spare is a 'non-remote' and it works fine. The important part is that the dealer programmed the car to recognise the key. You have over one minute to insert the key into the ignition and turn it before the car alarm goes off. I just quit locking the car.

And welcome to 986forum.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #9

The Porsche keys off eBay do serve an important purpose.

They make excellent Christmas presents and really fool the crap out of your teenage son or daughter when you tell him or her you've given them your car as a Christmas present... or tell them you bought them a Porsche and it's parked right outside (not).

hehehe... what a nasty trick to play on your own flesh and blood :dance:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #10

Thanks, guys!

I've been checking the forum for quite some time and finally bought an '01 Boxster with 34K miles last October. Black Metallic/black/black. Tip.

The car is great!

Swaro

swaro is offline   Reply With Quote