Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

What safety gear do I need to track my boxster?

can anyone give me some pointers on what I might need / want to track my boxster?
I'm thinking of 'casual' track days with one of these groups that pulls together people from multiple makes and rents a track for a day (thunderhill, laguna seca, etc...here in norther california)

the roll bar extension seems like a good call, as does a better seat that allows for a 5-point harness.

any thoughts and / or pointers to stuff that works well for a 986 would be great.

thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
FTD

Check with the track. My experience has been just a helmet as far as required. Everything else is fun stuff according to your taste and wallet. Gloves and shoes are an easy start.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #3

Every group/region has their own set of rules so I would check with them first and foremost. In our Chicago PCA region and Autobahn CC (Joliet, IL), where I instruct, a novice can run with just an SA05 approved helmet and stock three point harness. We require the top to be raised on a Boxster, but do not require the roll bar extension. I do recommend gloves and proper shoes, however, it isn't mandated.

If you are just going out for fun to see if this interests you, I wouldn't invest in safety equipment and borrow a good helmet that fits. If you progress, then the list will become a lot longer with safety items and different brake pads/tires.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Before you go on the track make sure you have at least a few A/X under your belt.
The next one in (y)our neck of the woods is March 21st:
http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10732

Othwerwise check the requirements by the clubs:
NCRC for example only lets you run if you have a rollbar extension or a hardtop other clubs are OK with running with the top up.

In addition to all the equipment already mentioned I would also get some decent driving gloves, especially when it's warm they will help you keeping a good grip on the steering wheel
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #5

I did my first DEs without any AXs. Having said that, I will be participating in an AX school next month.

Roll-bar extension is a good plan to protect your spine. Helmet, gloves and shoes for sure. A racing seat and a SIX-point harness are good too. DO NOT get a 5-point harness. Get a 6. If you keep it nice and tight, it will protect your neck in any kind of impact much more than a 5 point. The 6-point harnesses keep you planted in the seat more than the 5. That keeps your upper body from moving forward.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #6

First check the rules for the track and the group you will be running with. They can run the gamut from no real requirements to over the top crazy.

Since you are new to the track all I suggest is make sure the car is in good shape (brakes, tires etc etc etc) and a proper helmet (if required by the organization). Then make sure you have qualified instruction for your first times on track. Learning the proper way to drive on track will improve your safety way more then any seats, belts, or fancy nomex race suits ever will.

Marc

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #7

"I did my first DEs without any AXs. Having said that, I will be participating in an AX school next month."

Mike,

I will be one of the instructors out there next month...I'll have to say Hi.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #8

Cool. Yeah. It'd be great to meet you.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #9

"Get a 6. If you keep it nice and tight, it will protect your neck in any kind of impact much more than a 5 point"

The difference between a 5 point and 6 point is the sub-belt. A 5 point mounts to the floor and a 6 point mounts to the lap belt points; both hold your pelvis to the seat (aka as crotch belt). Both are sufficient to keep you planted, though most DE drivers utilize a 6 point so they don't need to drill holes in the floor pan.

Neither belt system offers protection to your head in the case of impact...you'd need a HANS (head and neck restraint) to keep your neck from snapping. Of course, if you are just starting out in DE, you probably won't pop for an $800 HANS device.