Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #1

Think your engine might blow up? Take a look at this.

http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghini_murcielago_crash.html

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #2

serves him right. he should have bought a carrera gt instead. :ah:
sorry, I guess it's too hard for me to feel any empathy since I can't afford any of the lambos.

I couldn't read all of it. too long. my verdict, excessive speed. :dance:
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanari
sorry, I guess it's too hard for me to feel any empathy since I can't afford any of the lambos.
-1 here. That's the attitude Mustang and Z car owners have when we tell them our engines grenade at any time. We shouldn't dismiss Lambo owner's claims just because we can't afford what they can.

Seems like the website owner has assembled quite a list of suspicious accidents for cars that aren't produced in large numbers.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Take a look here:
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/articles/017.shtml
It appears Ferrari's and Lambo's like to blow apart or drop their engines.
There are also some interesting Boxster wrecks, my favorite is the guy who drove off a 50' cliff, rolled, and he and his girlfriend walked away with only minor bumps and bruises.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #5

It is a very interesting read and well spoken. It sure seems like there is an odd problem with those cars. Thanks for posting.
Chris
Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #6

Yeah I hate people who think that speed is the only cause of accidents. At the track, in my 944 i'm doing 115 wishing for more speed, i'm twiddling my thumbs down the strait! In the Boxster 160 seems quick but very stable.

You'd have to be weaving between lanes like a moron to suddenly loose control. That or a mechanical failure. Also remember that many European drivers are trained a whole lot better than 99% of US drivers.

Italian cars have never been known for their reliability and they also only get driven 4-5 thousand miles in 10 years. So very few ever see enough miles to discover these problems.

That being said, even will all the money in the world, I would stick with German cars...
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:50 AM   #7

I'd love to have a Ferrari but I can't say fire incidents are not uncommon on those things.

http://www.motorauthority.com/ferrari-recalls-more-than-1900-f430-spiders-due-to-fire-risk.html

Italian cars = supermodels with coke habit.
German cars = really good looking girlfriend with less maintenance.

Sorry, now please go ahead and return to your regular programming of "I'm so afraid to drive my car because of IMS." posts.

Last edited by ekam; 03-10-2009 at 04:55 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:05 AM   #8

The builder who built my house 11 years back owned a Diablo. He was messing around with another car on the interstate when something let go in the motor resulting in a huge fire ball coming out of the rear center mounted exhaust, I heard it looked alot like the Batmobile. They pulled the car over on the freeway, jumped out and watched it burn to the ground.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
-1 here. That's the attitude Mustang and Z car owners have when we tell them our engines grenade at any time. We shouldn't dismiss Lambo owner's claims just because we can't afford what they can.

Seems like the website owner has assembled quite a list of suspicious accidents for cars that aren't produced in large numbers.
sorry, I should have broaden my statement to include those who can afford other makes I cannot, such as the 987.

husker, I kid. I honestly don't wish death, fire, destruction, and mayhem on those who drive nicer cars than I.

but back to the topic, at the end of the day, it's probably best to keep those type of speeds on the track, though I realize that some of the incidents, i.e. spontaneous combustion, have nothing to do w/excessive speed....

jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote