Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #1

On sale....

I saw a new 2008 left over Cayman S today MSRP $72K, marked down to $58K at our local P-car store. There were similar discounts on other 2008 vehicles, and way too many 2009s not being sold, leading me to think that this may be a good time for those with cash to pick up that newer car they've always wanted. What recession????

raddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #2

I just bought my 08 Cayman S 2 weeks ago. Sticker was $70,500 I paid $51,999. I wasnt even in the market for a new car. The deal was so amazing I couldnt turn it down.

They also gave me a great price for my trade in.
Evan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #3

That's a great deal on the Cayman and I agree that its an excellent time to buy. I found out that Porsche has quietly slipped the dealers some significant cash ($5-7K per vehicle) to encourage them to sell all of the '08 Caymans and Boxsters before the '09's begin to stack up.

On Saturday I picked up a new '08 Boxster with an MSRP of $53K for $39K and received a generous trade allowance to boot. Without the trade, I'm guessing that I could have bought the car for $37K.

In my opinion, I think the '09 Caymans and Boxsters are going to be tough to sell without big discounts. Plus, the initial batch on their way to the dealerships all have the new PDK trans which drives up the price and may be a tough sell to the traditional Porsche guy. Like me. Hope I'm wrong though.
sierramadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #4

'09's have already hit the dealers. Been watching to see how they go, but Porsche must have made a HUGE run of base boxster's with red / tan and blue / black S models.

Seems like the dealers are around 56k for the base and 71-72k for the S models, but you have to read between the lines to check their individual option lists....and YES, they all seem to have PDK.

Just me, but I would not get the PDK. Not an automatic fan no matter how "cool" you can market it and $4000 plus for it is just too much.

Huge discounts are out there for new or slightly used '08's.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #5

Cash is King

Great time to buy - but everyone on this site knows the rest . Buy quality. All assets are deflating rapidly - quality assets will fall the least and come back the quickest.

For autos the time of greatest overstock is now - mfg are rapidly cutting back production and dropping models. If you don't mind a few miles - lots of folks got in over their head and now need to quickly sell.

btw Mazda is offering employee pricing on the RX8 - probably pretty close to fire sale pricing.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #6

makes me want to go buy a new car..

as to the RX8 - that is FUN car. it was the only sports car that I seriously considered along with myh boxster. totallyh different car in terms of what "type" or car it is - but very similar in the "fun" category. hard to compare a two door roadster to the rx8 that is sort of a 4 door sports car..w/out the drop top....

veryh different cars..but man the rx8 is a fun car. revs like there is no tomorrow and the chassis/balance/fun factor is VERY high.

i test drove a lot of cars - s2000, EVO, boxster, 350Z, rx8, - the rx8 was the MOST fun car, except for my boxster. my boxster was slightly faster and handled better and the drop top fun was hard to beat...but if I was in the amrket fo ra 2+2 sporty car, I'd love the rx8...except for the crappy gas mileage...

i'm thinking now - how much could I get a used boxster S or cayman S for?? like a 2006 or 2007 that is certified! under 30k?
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #7

I can vouch for the above - people with almost new cars are selling them at great prices and many cannot afford the payments. I am selling my 2008 Boxster S and even though I have the title in hand I'd sell it for a comparable discount that the dealers are giving on brand new ones, with extras and more warranty.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #8

Yea - the math is pretty compelling...

If I could get 13-14K for a trade in on my 2001 boxster and just kick in 10K for a 2009 RX-8 - hard to say no. Would be saving quite a bit in maintenance - maybe in the fall.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #9

Yea - the math is pretty compelling...

If I could get 13-14K for a trade in on my 2001 boxster and just kick in 10K for a 2009 RX-8 - hard to say no. Would be saving quite a bit in maintenance - maybe in the fall.

Well maybe $4 gas could get me to say no.