Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

Garage
well since the OP has no cats already since there are only two in the midpipes and he has removed them it is definitely in the muffler. change the muffler... change the sound. I recommend looking at spec boxster setups online because most if not all have testpipes in them (no cats) and some form of muffler. the video sounds great however, you need to buy the midpipes from them to use their muffler.

hi flow cats in my mind are a waste of time and money. so very pricey and you dont lose much weight (if any) and you gain minimal power (if any) at least with a cat bypass you may not gain or lose any power but at least you lose weight. and with this spec boxster system or with an aftermarket muffler that is even MORE weight lost and a better sound.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #2

Sounds pretty good to me ........any drone? Yes, of course I wouldn't be able to get this on my 3.2.......I am after suggestions that are streetable for the 3.2.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #3

Garage
actually, you could get this system because it will fit just the same... except you will have the header cats on your 3.2 so it will probably be quieter by a little bit.

as far as drone... the louder you go the drone will be there they are very often hand in hand. except maybe with some of the highest end of systems.

here is a clip of my exhaust 2.7 still has header cats on but 40 bux for catless midpipe.

but again muffler has ALOT to do with the sound.

Ive raced with a fellow boxster owner in my area (autocross) and he has i think fabspeed bypass with the PSE... to be honest it isnt that much louder than stock... BUT with mine the deluboz muffler already made it louder but the cat delete made it in my opinion great.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
actually, you could get this system because it will fit just the same... except you will have the header cats on your 3.2 so it will probably be quieter by a little bit.

as far as drone... the louder you go the drone will be there they are very often hand in hand. except maybe with some of the highest end of systems.

here is a clip of my exhaust 2.7 still has header cats on but 40 bux for catless midpipe.

but again muffler has ALOT to do with the sound.

Ive raced with a fellow boxster owner in my area (autocross) and he has i think fabspeed bypass with the PSE... to be honest it isnt that much louder than stock... BUT with mine the deluboz muffler already made it louder but the cat delete made it in my opinion great.

This is why you either pony up, or stay stock. The Fabspeed and B&B systems are drone free, and sound fantastic, but are not cheap.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #5

Garage
its true, those are good systems... however if it came down to it however, id choose drone over BB for 3 grand (which doesnt include midpipes...) or fabspeed from 2500 to well over 4000 ( depends on whether you do sport cats or not)

its robbery simply for the fact that you are not getting a good yield of power to $.