View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
releese78

Raspy Exhaust (no cats), need advice

A couple months ago, I had the cats taken off and bypass pipes installed, mine is a 98, so it only had one pair.

Inside the car, I think it sounds pretty decent (no drone, barely any louder). I can't say I'm as impressed with how it sounds outside though.

The one thing I was afraid of before doing so was to sound like a ricer, and I think I achieved just that. It sounds like a rattling tin can at mid-high rpm's now.

If I drive very conservatively, the car is pretty quiet outside, the nasty sound only occurs at higher rpm's

I've been doing a lot of reading on here about people who have done the PSE or drilling mods to the muffler (mine is stock, by the way). Anyone have any experience with either of these mods, or something else in conjunction with cat-bypass pipes?

I am not looking for an obnoxiously loud tone, just something a little deeper without the "tin-can" sound.

....I'm sure someone on here will be a smartass and say "Put cats back on dummy!" While I agree, it would fix my raspy, rattling exhaust tone...it's not exactly the response I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote