Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #1

cheap place to buy oem parts?

anyone know where to get cheap oem parts for our cars?

mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #2

Suncoast Porsche is the best....no sales tax.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=POTE

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:30 AM   #3

First, there are no "cheap" OEM parts... its not a Porsche for nothing.
Second: SunCoast is good.
Also try 986online.com
pedrosgarage.com
********************************************************************.com
rockauto.com

And don't be afraid of AutoZone.... rememebr that OEM was probably the low bid.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
bmussatti

I have purchased from both Sunset Porsche and Suncoast Porsche. Both have web sites. Both have been very good.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 AM   #5

i second sunset / suncoast. in my experience, sunset tends to be cheaper even after adjusting for shipping from portland to atlanta.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #6

I just wanna give some feedback on Suncoast & Sunset. I used to buy my parts from Suncoast. Now I only buy from Sunset.

I had a problem when I ordered something from Suncoast. It was some tape for the weatherstripping on my hardtop. I had had my hardtop repainted late last year, and was trying to get it put back together before it started snowing. When I talked to the guy at Suncoast, he told me the tape came in a roll 9' long. When I got it, the roll was 26" long. I called back to find out what the deal was. The first roll had taken two weeks to show up as it had to be special ordered. Of course, I was in a big hurry since it was very late in the year. I was sure it would snow in two weeks time. I told them I was in a hurry and asked them to check out the situation. If I needed to order more, I needed to get it done ASAP. That's why I needed to know if I got the right part, or if there was just a misunderstanding about the length of the roll. I called them back around 5 times leaving messages. I even talked to somebody in parts. They said everybody else was out to lunch. She would have the MGR call me back as soon as he got back. He never called. I never, ever received a call back.

I ordered the additional tape from Sunset and got it really quickly. IMO, Sunset's customer service is better, and generally their prices are better.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #7

I've had nothing but good experiences with both Sunset and Suncoast.

I got my ROW030 suspension from Sunset because they had the best price - and they happened to have it in stock in the US.

I have also ordered many things from Suncoast and never had a problem. The prices are typically much lower than at my local dealership - which usually has to special order everything anyway since they never seem to have anything in stock. I have found the people at Suncoast to be quite helpful in looking up part numbers and giving advice on installation/application.

I don't think you would go wrong with either one.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #8

No affiliation! I have had good success with ************************************************************
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #9

I buy almost exclusively from Pelican...may not be the cheapest, but I appreciate the support Wayne gives the Porsche community and the service his staff gives.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #10

http://www.partsgeek.com/ really good prices and good selection
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #11

What's the website to Sunset?

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #12

Sunset does not have a full parts web site like Suncoast (at least from what I last discovered). The Sunset web site has an inquiry form that takes a while for them to get back to you.

Best thing to do is call them and ask for a price on the parts. The Pcar parts counter guys are excellent. I've called them many times and they are tops.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #13

I think I've purchased something from each of the guys listed here and add Eagle-Day and even Bavarian Auto (mainly BMW and Mini) to the mix.

Each of these has had the 'best' price on one item or the other and I've been willing to do the legwork to get the best price. My motivation is price, not convenience. Over time, the few pennies here and there have added up.

Others may not have the time or inclination to do this and that's OK too.

Of all the vendors mentioned, from my own experiences, if I had to choose one to do business with exclusively, it'd be either Sunset or Paragon.

Again, from my own experiences, if I had to caution someone about which places to stay away from, it'd be Eagle-Day or Suncoast.

A few years ago when I was looking for an M030 S front sway bar, Suncoast sent me an e- flyer advertising some kind of 7-day special on all parts - free shipping, $20 off, or something like that, I don't exactly remember. I called them to inquire about the part and was given a price and told the item was in stock and could be shipped same day. I still had not checked Sunset, so told them I'd call the next day to order. Sunset's price wasn't as good, so I called Suncoast back (16 hrs. later) to order. When I did, they told me the price for the part had jumped 75% overnight! The Parts guy simply said:"You should have ordered it yesterday" !

Eventually, I got to a Mgr. and he basically said the same thing. I replied that if they had had to order the part from the warehouse, I could understand the price increase. But as they told me the part was already in their inventory after quoting a price, that they were simply upcharging me.

The long and short of it was the Mgr. finally said that if I were willing to send him an email acknowledging Suncoast's right to raise prices whenever they wished at any time (stating the obvious as it were), that he'd sell me the part for the 'previous' price.

Since I didn't see any principles being compromised here, and since the savings was more than $100, I sent him the email and got the part. But, I've never done business with them since and probably won't.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #14

Sunset is tops. Just ordered a bunch of stuff from them. I e-mailed part numbers researched from another site and the price was a consistant 20% cheaper.

suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote