Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Porscheectomy

Is this an air/oil separator problem

I've been experiencing a SLIGHTLY bumpy idle, like +/-50RPM. Cleaned the throttle body, no change. I disconnected the hose here and found a little coating of nice, fresh smelling Royal Purple. RP has a really distinctive smell.

Is this a sign of impending AOS failure?

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I've been experiencing a SLIGHTLY bumpy idle, like +/-50RPM. Cleaned the throttle body, no change. I disconnected the hose here and found a little coating of nice, fresh smelling Royal Purple. RP has a really distinctive smell.

Is this a sign of impending AOS failure?

a thin coating of oil here is normal as this is where oil vapor re-enters the throttle body to be burned. the usual point of failure on the aos is the bellows that connects it to the crankcase. it's located directly below the aos. use carb cleaner or propane or such to check for vacuum leaks.

if the membrane in the aos is bad, you will see a LOT of oil at the throttle body / aos coupling.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #3

I've also been experiencing a rough idle. Getting a P0507 message. Cleaned out the throttle valve but it seems ok. Checked that tube that is in the diagram, and that seemed ok. I think there is an air intake leak somewhere. What is the best way to do it. I know you can shoot some gas in there like:

ethyl
carbcleaner

I also heard some people can get really hurt in case of an ignition. What is the best procedure for doing this yourself? (i.e. which product is most reliable and more safe) I also don't really know where to spray it. On top of engine? Bottom? Any place in particular that is a common point of leaking? Will there be a noticeable increase in rpm or do you have to listen really carefully?

If somebody could show me in a diagram, that would be loads of help.

Last edited by Viper5; 03-03-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #4

Garage
With the engine running, spray carb cleaner around all intake joints aft of the throttle body. Check every joint, all the way to the head (for all you swabbies thats not the bathroom ) until you hear the idle stabilize . What your doing is temporarily sealing the air leak and I wouldn't worry about an explosion but you just might get a clean engine out of the deal.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:13 AM   #5

It usually stabilizes after it gets going for 5 seconds. It's just on initial startup when this happens. After startup, it will stay anywhere from 800-1000 rpms. Maybe I'm crazy, but it also seems like when I turn the steering wheel, it messes with the rpms while at idle. Are those two systems in anyway related?

Last edited by Viper5; 03-03-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #6

The power steering will cause your RPMs to fluctuate when you turn the steering wheel at idle.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
The power steering will cause your RPMs to fluctuate when you turn the steering wheel at idle.
Yup, so will the AC or any other large load. By the way, turning the wheels without the car moving is bad for the tires.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote