Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #1

Turbo Boxster in future Excellence article

A Friends 2000 Boxster S with an added Turbowerx turbo will be described with photos in a future Excellence article. I was told this is one of eight Boxster Turbowerx cars.

The Boxster can be seen in the Car Domain web site:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3226302

I drove the Turbo and can really feel the 300HP and 305 Ft Lbs torque. The Turbowerx shop installation is very clean and compact, as shown by the photos at Car Domain.

FWIW - I don't have any connection to Turbowerx

Take Care,

Ed

Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #2

Looks nice and is probably wicked-fast!

I dreamed of doing this to my 2.5 since TurboWerx is in Austin and I could drive over and let them do the install. However, after reading Raby's article I decided to pass on it and just install a larger displacement motor one day.

Of course, any motor mods are a pipe dream right now with this crappy economy! :ah:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin
A Friends 2000 Boxster S with an added Turbowerx turbo will be described with photos in a future Excellence article. I was told this is one of eight Boxster Turbowerx cars.

The Boxster can be seen in the Car Domain web site:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3226302

I drove the Turbo and can really feel the 300HP and 305 Ft Lbs torque. The Turbowerx shop installation is very clean and compact, as shown by the photos at Car Domain.

FWIW - I don't have any connection to Turbowerx

Take Care,

Ed
Is there a muffler? Did he do the dyno run without a pipe from the turbo to the tailpipes?

Do you know the boost pressure? How long has it been boosted? Why is he selling it?

That pipe that crosses from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the turbo looks pretty low, any dragging/scraping issues?

How's turbo lag? There's a long way from the exhaust to the turbo and then an even longer way from the turbo through the intercooler (I assume that's the black box opposite the turbo) back to the intake with a lot of sharp bends. The high compression probably helps to keep lag to a minimum, but still...
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #4

The fact they eliminate the rear sheetmetal brace is just scary. The suspension geometry changes during driving must make for very interesting handling characteristics.

-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #5

Is there a muffler? Did he do the dyno run without a pipe from the turbo to the tailpipes?

Yes, the muffler is on the driver side and is fairly quiet. Yes, the Dyno was done with the muffler attached.

Do you know the boost pressure? How long has it been boosted? Why is he selling it?

Boost pressure is 6-7 -- Turbo on for several months -- Why selling=bad back and can't get the use out of the car he expected.

That pipe that crosses from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the turbo looks pretty low, any dragging/scraping issues?

It looks low in the photo but when you look under the car from the back it doesn't seem to be too low to cause an issue with clearance.

How's turbo lag?

The power comes on very strong at 3000 and keeps increasing until you take your foot off (I went to 6500 in 3rd gear). I didn't get enough seat time or track use to identify turbo lag, or not.

Ed
Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #6

Todd,

There is a "Pedro" brace that replaces the aluminum sheet suspension support.
Also, there is another aluminum sheet under there that does something I'm not sure about.

Ed
Old 02-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #7

Smile TurboBoxster

Hello for all that have read about my car,first a thanks to AZ Ed to help me post the car I am the owner and I took a photo too early the car has an exhaust system and a suspension brace.I just took a photo too early.The car to me has a zero lag time on the Turbo,for any info on the Turbo visit Turbowerx.com and for installation visit Turbokraft.com,I have had 5 back surgeries and 2 which were fused so the sports car needs to go just ask my wife......
TurboBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin
Todd,

There is a "Pedro" brace that replaces the aluminum sheet suspension support.
Also, there is another aluminum sheet under there that does something I'm not sure about.

Ed
Sorry but in my opinion not the same thing. Pedro's brace is meant to help the sheetmetal piece in preventing geometry changes under load, not replace it.
The sheetmetal brace ties all 4 suspension uprights together. The lower rear bars you refer to, only attach the two rear uprights at a single point on each upright. A 'performance' kit that replaces this essential suspension component is not well engineered in my opinion. I guarantee that that car sufferers some pretty nasty suspension geometry changes during loading which is probably further exacerbated due to the large torque this motor puts out and I certainly wouldn't be driving it anywhere near its limits.

-Todd

1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote