Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #1

New Problem

Ok, I put in Super White LED Kit on my instrument cluster and have found that the clock,odometer ,and temp. area does not light.. I went back to my stock bulbs in those areas and the same thing happens nothing lights up. Now my question is could it be a fuse. Cause it seems that everything else lights up on the cluster .... All the other areas where the led kit is installed works fine

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #2

sounds like one of the connectors on the back of the cluster isn't seated properly. There have been others who've had this problem as well and that was the issue.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #3

ok now i tried to reseat the connectors on the back of the cluster and i get nothing still... lastnight it was really dark and i couldn't see anything of LCDS. Now that is daytime I can see the LCDS but not sure it is the bulbs as much as it the sun hitting the LCDS...HELLLLPPP.. could it be a fuse that controls those lights
Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #4

LEDs are polarized... any chance they're in 'backwards'? Do you need to reverse any wiring?
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #5

porscheleds.com is where i bought the bulbs. I have been in contact with the seller all night.. now the oem bulbs don't work either .. and your saying polarized?... what would cause that.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #6

Funny you should mention this as I just get them running this morning on mine. I recently rebuilt my 99's cluster (I should do a write-up) and just put the white LEDs on the LCD's and I was having a heck of a time getting them to light. It does look good once you change them. I'm not so keep in the dials being white though.

Apparently you have to make sure all three LEDs are in the correct polarity for all of them to light. If one is out it can cause all of them to be out. The best thing to do is to try one at a time and plug in the black (right hand) cable and you'll see the LCD's power up briefly. You may have to bend the pins a little on the LED holders to get them to seat right too.

Next I am putting in a set of white face dials I have from a parts cluster.

Chris
Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
porscheleds.com is where i bought the bulbs. I have been in contact with the seller all night.. now the oem bulbs don't work either .. and your saying polarized?... what would cause that.
All LEDs are Polarized in that they depend on specific positive and negative poles (polarized). On an ordinary incandecent bulb, it doesn't matter if you put the positive (+) wire or negative (-) wire on either contact, it will still light. But, the LEDs need a specific path for the current to flow in order to light.

1999 Porsche Boxster