Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Oil Filter kit from Flat 6

I saw that video from Flat 6 and was interested in it. What advantage does a metal filter have over a paper? I did always find it funny that Porsches use flimsy paper filters and my Mom's van uses metal filters.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #2

The metal filters have paper inside. The insides of a normal spin-on filter look a lot like the paper element of the Porsche filter.

Other than being able to buy less expensive spin-on filters at a local parts store, i'm not sure what the advantage would be.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #3

They also claim that using the specified filters - Mobil1, K&N, NAPA Gold you get better oil flow.

Not sure I totally buy that one because the Boxster doesn't seem to suffer from oil starvation except at the pickup tube from the sump during high-G maneuvers, which is best solved by adding the X-51 sump extention w/ baffles. They also are offering a sump extention, but I haven't compared it with the X-51 for either features or cost advantages.

To me, the spin-on kit isn't all that advantageous. It may be more convenient to source your filters locally - Pep Boy's or NAPA, and these filters may be slightly cheaper... but you need to buy a lot of cheap filters to overcome the $134 cost of entry. Plus, if you've been DIYing your oil changes, you've already invested in the oil cannister wrench which will now be sidelined.

I see the main advantage being the ability to add adapters for either an Accusump or secondary Oil Cooler, but now you're talking a lot more than $134 and most people do not need these.

If the price drops somewhat significantly, I may change my mind, but for now I'll stick with the cannister filter and put the $$ somewhere else.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #4

I'll preface my comments on the fact I already have ordered, but not installed the filter adapter. If you read the research LN Engineering has done, the paper filter Porsche recemmends does not filter micro-particles as well as the filters Flat 6 recommends. Those microscopic particles contribute to the wear of components that "may" lead to premature failure. I am not an expert, but if Charles and Jake recommend this adapter (at $134, they aren't getting rich off this) then I'm in to do anything to keep my 3.2 healthy, including ditching the Mobil 1 this spring.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
including ditching the Mobil 1 this spring.

I too plan on purchasing the spin on adaptor from LN\Flat 6 for my next change. I've heard that Mobil 1, due to the lack of zinc and phosphorous, isn't recomended for air cooled Porsche engines, but was good for the water cooled ones.

BTW I'm considering switching to Swepco next change as well, but haven't made up my mind yet.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #6

Jake and Charles have witnessed way too much damage from lack of proper lubrication on motors using exclusively Mobil 1. Though they will not recommend an oil (too much flack) I have read users recommending Castrol Full Synthetic 5W/40. I also hear Swepco would be an excellent alternative.

My Porsche tuner highly recommends Royal Purple.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #7

Garage
same question answered at Pelican parts

I also asked this question at pelican parts on the boxster/cayman forum and received i very nice summation... won't link it you can find it easy enough.

theres been a lot of discussion about oil....

everyone has an opinion...

i'm no expert so don't ask, i won't tell; and we can still all remain friends

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #8

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=454842
Old 02-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #9

Garage
I'd like to add my opinion; I'm an Amsoil fan, http://www.amsoil.com/ , I like the research they do to stand behind there products. They don't just sell oil products but the whole lubrication family is involved. To take their love of engine protection to the next level they also provide a remote oil filter and a by-pass filter system. The by-pass filter will filter 100% of your oil every 5 minutes down to 1 micro!

http://www.amsoil.com/a/By-Pass-Filters-Mounts

The product line goes one better for those looking for the best in preventing wear...a 160cc preoiler that provides oil pressure prior to starting the engine.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amk.aspx
Old 02-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #10

The post I made on Pelican pretty much sums it up, but I'll also add that using a metal filter body lets you use filter magnets that I've tested as removing all but 1 ppm of Fe in used oil. Secondly, using one of the recommended filters that don't have an internal bypass are full-flow, filtering 100% of oil, not allowing ANY particulate matter to be bypassed, with filters capable of higher flow while still filtering much finer particles. These filters are built to take pressures far exceeding anything these engines can produce, even in sub-freezing weather as we have tested.

Amsoil is good too (just don't use their european formula - it's pretty weak), so are their filters - just cross with one of the filters we recommend and you'll be fine using Amsoil's. Royal Purple also now offers some nice filters too!

As far as oils go, I'm leaning towards Swepco 306 15w40 for non-variocam+ engines. If using a factory approved oil or lighter recommended 0w40 or 5w40 viscosities, I'm also thinking about recommending Swepco's 502 Oil Improver. This boils down to the bearing analysis we had done on the IMS and their failure modes - having an oil with moly-based extreme pressure friction modifiers should improve IMS life. Royal Purple's 5w40 would be another oil as laden with moly as Swepco.

For sure, drain intervals need to be cut back to 5,000 mi / 6 months.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution

Last edited by cnavarro; 02-14-2009 at 04:23 PM.
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro
The post I made on Pelican pretty much sums it up, but I'll also add that using a metal filter body lets you use filter magnets that I've tested as removing all but 1 ppm of Fe in used oil. Secondly, using one of the recommended filters that don't have an internal bypass are full-flow, filtering 100% of oil, not allowing ANY particulate matter to be bypassed, with filters capable of higher flow while still filtering much finer particles. These filters are built to take pressures far exceeding anything these engines can produce, even in sub-freezing weather as we have tested.

Amsoil is good too (just don't use their european formula - it's pretty weak), so are their filters - just cross with one of the filters we recommend and you'll be fine using Amsoil's. Royal Purple also now offers some nice filters too!

As far as oils go, I'm leaning towards Swepco 306 15w40 for non-variocam+ engines. If using a factory approved oil or lighter recommended 0w40 or 5w40 viscosities, I'm also thinking about recommending Swepco's 502 Oil Improver. This boils down to the bearing analysis we had done on the IMS and their failure modes - having an oil with moly-based extreme pressure friction modifiers should improve IMS life. Royal Purple's 5w40 would be another oil as laden with moly as Swepco.

For sure, drain intervals need to be cut back to 5,000 mi / 6 months.

how about castrol tws10w60 or castrol Edge 10w60 (not edge sport !!!)
It has extreme hths values and that's the reason why it is the only oil approved in bmw ///M engines.

I put it into my m3 and Mits. evo, an former impreza, all the time. Would love to have a single type oil supply and put into the Boxster as well. However did not dare to do that until now. BoxsterS runs on M1 5w50.

Now reading about extreme pressure modifiers (zincsulfait ???) being neccessary for the box. There are a lot of that in tws/edge 10w60. In fact the only reason tws/edge 10w60 exists next to Edge sport 10w60 is that bmw ///m didnot approve the lower zincsulfait and lowe hths values in edge sport 10w60...

Mark
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The Porsche oil filter allows you to see what it has caught without having to saw off a metal cannister.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
The Porsche oil filter allows you to see what it has caught without having to saw off a metal cannister.
Paul,

I feel the same way, I change my own oil and ever since owning my Boxster I love having the ability to inspect the pleats for contamination. If people want to strap magnets to the outside of the housing I suggest using magnets from old computer hard drives. They're so powerful you can put a set on each side of your hand and they'll stay there.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #14

I have always ran Mobil 1 synthetic oil in all of my cars, and I have been quite impressed. I have also used Castrol in older vehicles that had no need for synthetic and as I do like that oil however, I have never had any issues with Mobil 1.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote