Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #1

Custom Painted TechArt side vents

just for kicks and giggles, I thought I'd post up some pics of a little project I just finished.
The paint on my side vents was getting a little discolored, so I got a couple quotes from local shops to repaint them. The quotes were around $300. I thought I'd try something a little different with the paint scheme, so I took them off and rubbed / sanded thebad spots and tried a couple different paint schemes. I settled on the black inner vent / regular white outer (with painted wire mesh behind)...and I really liked the way it turned out. To each his own, of course...just thought it might spark some ideas.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #2

Side vents

Nice job, I added the '03/04 vents to my '02. They are supposed to let more air in and I like the visual impact they have over the stock, smaller opening '02. Now yours are the Tech Art vents and they look even larger in opening than the
'03 ones. I should measure both my sets of vents to see how much larger one is over the other just to be accurate. I like the screen you added, nice little neat touch. Thanks for sharing.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

Garage
I have a question. First off, nice ride bro! My question is how come the pictures have a different number of views? When I look at pictures I look at all of them but I've noticed that on multiple occasions that image's seem to have different number of people that look at each one.

Just my worthless observation while ducking tornadoes tonight.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #4

thanks

# of pic difference is simply because some people only look at a few of the pics...not all of them.

a couple questions for you, from your sig:
- Smartop- is that the one-push top open / close mod? I did that to my car via techart software as well...one of the best mods!
- what's the diagnostics thing you mention.

thanks for the car compliment. I bought this car in '04, used, with 24k miles and the prior owner had totally gone to town on it. I never would have spent the money on the mods he did (the stereo and radar / laser stuff...wow! though I like the stereo and the laser stuff has saved me a few bucks ;-)...

and the techart engine stuff...well...that package was almost $8k installed...I would not have spent that...but I must say, the sound of this car is absolutely heavenly. I had it in to have it smogged last week and all the shop guys were standing around saying stuff like: "that's a Porsche?! I've never heard a Porsche that sounds like that"

Oh, and it passed smog with flying colors even though it's missing 2 of 4 cats and has super high flow mufflers. turns out it's less polluting than a stock boxster s!

I've been away from the board for awhile...but I gotta say, there's no car out there that pleases the way a boxster does.

Last comment: the TechArt guys claim the side scoops add 3 hp. I doubt that very seriously. But their larger size does make a nice statement.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #5

Garage
SmarTop, yes it is. One of the best upgrades I've put on yet. The convenience of being able to raise and lower the top while moving up to 25mph comes in handy nearly every time I drive my car. I drop my top while pulling out of the driveway, or cruising down the street. Same as raising it.

I have to admit it does raise the cool factor up a couple of notches when you just hit the switch and forget about it. Pedestrians and drivers are looking at your car like it a damn Transformer! I see Porsche now incorporates this in there cars.

The Durametric software and cable allows me to monitor a host of parameters. If you get an idiot light you can clear it also. Oh yea, you also need a laptop. Here's the website; http://www.durametric.com/

P.S. The claim by the TechArt guys might not yield 3hp but I bet it netted them a few sales.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 02-10-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #6

I really like it. It would only be better if instead of black, it was carbon fiber wrapped, but to each his own. Some people hate exposed carbon.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #7

it was less about loving / not loving carbon fiber...

but since black paint comes out of a spray can and carbon fiber, well, doesn't....I went with black paint.
I agree that CF would look good, but I also don't have any other carbon fiber on my car. I had the inner part of my rims (kinesis 3 piece) painted flat black to match the top / trim...and was sticking with the black stuff.

If I'd had my choice, I would have had a blue top / interior....reminds me of the '76 Jenson Interceptor III my dad had when I was growing up...silver car with blue top and blue leather interior (with sheep skin inserts in the seats)...talk about naughty English sweetness...and with the Chrysler 440 hemi in that car...wow..but I digress.

Carbon is cool, no doubt.