Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 02:52 AM   #1

The Porsche as an everyday car

Is it possible to rely on the Porsche as an everyday car to be driven for the every day activates such as shopping and going to work? And is it true that this car is sensitive to be driven most of the time and must own a substitute car for the daily use?

e7lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #2

Thumbs up

I can only speak foe myself and my experience, but my car makes a wonderful daily driver. Lots of room for groceries and stuff when shopping, decent gas mileage, comfortable , fun , and if well maintained very reliable. I do own a 4wd pichup which I use for plowing, fishing and other such non-car uses. The only thing you will have to do is get over mini dings which you will get in the parking lots. It is a hoot to know that when you go to work you will be having fun. Enjoy. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #3

Works great 24/7/365 for me ... and I live in Buffalo!!

You'll have no trouble if you find a strong example.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:51 AM   #4

I've been using mine as a daily driver for almost 4 years now.. shopping, errands, driving about town. Heck I even pack it up and take it camping. The car gets more wear and tear on it.. but that's just the way it goes with any car. It's got plenty of cargo room for most stuff I need to deal with. If I need to move something bigger I either call a cab or use one of the per-hour car sharing programs here in town (the one I use is called AutoShare.. but there are a few in Toronto).
berj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 AM   #5

I bought my 98 boxster to use everyday, so far the only trouble iv had living with it are steamy windows and some madness when there was 2" of snow on the ground. I have only had it a month though.
Adam_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The Boxster is no Honda, and using it as a DD will be more expensive, but it will also be a lot more fun. Mine is very reliable, and is capable of tackling anything I throw at it, from 1800 mile road trips, to getting to work, and blizzards w/ 3" if snow on the ground (without traction control).
You'll be very happy with a Boxster as a DD as long as acknowledge it will be more expensive than most other cars to use as a DD.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #7

The Boxster is also my DD.

I work at home 4 out of 5 days, so I don't have much of a commute although I do use the car everyday (coffee runs, grocery .. ect) and on weekends. I put about 8000 miles of love on her every year, and am perfectly happy with only one minor complaint.

What annoys me about the Boxster as an everyday car is that it seems to take a bit longer than most car to warm up enough for me to start driving without feeling like I abuse the car (when the RPM actually drops from 1200 to 800 ish). Even then, those first few shift until the car fully warms up is still a bit notchy.

So those `quick` trips to the coffee shops takes about 10 to 15 minutes instead of 5 or 10, although I have a blast driving it.

My 2c.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #8

I bought my 2000 base to use a weekend / fun car - but the prior owner was my dad - I bought it from him when he decided to let it go.

HE used it as his DD for about 5 years. he bought it with 25k miles and I bought it from him with just under 75k. he put about 10k/year - and had no major problems at all.

he had an extended warranty, and under warranty, he did get a new top, new dash (leather was defective) and all new cats - those suckers were not cheap - but the warranty paid....

he had no instances where hte car broke down, refused to start, etc. it was a very reliable car for him - i'm hoping that now as I only drive it on Friday and the weekends - that it willc ontinue to be trouble free...

despite the fact that I used mine as a toy car - if I didn't already have a beater to drive around to work/back and if I wasn't trying to make THIS boxxter LAST as long as possible - I'd GLADLY drive it every day.

driving to work in my DD is just "driving". boring. i listen to the radio and drink my coffee. the car gets me there. nothign exciting.

driving to work i teh boxster is fun. I look forward to firing it up, putting the top dow, and taking the various turns on the way to the office. totally difference experience. trips to the grocery store to get milk can be FUN - it all depends on what you're driving.

if you have the money to maintain it, and can afford a nice car like a boxster as a DD - you will love it.

because it has two trunks - you will be VERY surpised at how much you can fit in teh car. you're not going to fit as much into it as you will in an SUV - but for routine trips to the grocery store, etc - you can fit quite a bit of stuff into the car.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #9

Thank you all for your kind comments which were very helpful to me, actually I was not sure to drive the Porsche everyday, but it seams to me it’s a reliable car indeed
e7lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #10

Absolutely. Mine has been a daily driver for 3 years and nearly 50k miles without any major problems. While it's no Chevy Tahoe, you will be pleased how much fits in the trunks.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Fred Demara

yes, I have been able to drive mine everyday when the engine was working. :ah:

When the 1st engine went, I was only without it for 3 weeks. Second Engine...I think a month. Since the second engine went, I haven't been able to drive it for about 2 months.

Once the 3rd engine is installed, I plan on driving it everyday again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e7lew
Is it possible to rely on the Porsche as an everyday car to be driven for the every day activates such as shopping and going to work? And is it true that this car is sensitive to be driven most of the time and must own a substitute car for the daily use?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The trunks are big enough to fit a keg or a forum member. Check out this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16448&highlight=groceries+trunk
Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #13

I agree with those that say it works as DD. My 912, 911, and 914-6 did it. Yeah, stuff like brakes and tires won't last as long. But it can be fun with the right roads.

The worst problem in my opinion would be a very short commute where the engine never gets to operating temp and the water and contaminates do not get expelled. And stop and go traffic that also can kill your clutch leg.

Mine's not a DD, but it does get utilitarian service like trips to the grocery or liquor store. I call it Boxstercise. I've had up to $430 worth of groceries in it and only used the passenger seat for a jumbo pack of paper towels.

I have a rule though: Never make any short trip (less than the engine takes to hit operating temp). I don't use the local stores with the Box cuz they are only a coupla miles away.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
These cars drive better when driven often,you'll be fine.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #15

Hmmm. You live in Kuwait.

If you have a dealership in your city and you don't mind paying their outrageous prices for parts or parts/service, the car will make a fun daily driver.

These cars are not low maintenance though, especially when they pass the 70,000 mile mark.

If I were you, I'd buy a Carrera so you can drive it fast on straight desert roads when you want and then get a Toyota for shopping and back and forth to work. Boxsters aren't nearly as zippy as Carreras on a straight line and you don't have a lot of mountains around you for twisty roads if my topographic memory serves me correctly.

Hope this helps!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #16

I think there's a difference between being able to drive it daily and being a 'Daily Driver'.

I would not consider the Boxster to be a 'Daily Driver'.

The Top and motor would take a toll buttoning it up and opening it several times daily.

It doesn't get the best fuel mileage.

You can only take one passenger with you.

Odd size loads would not easily fit in the car.

You wouldn't normally want to subject the car's body to the daily threats of door dings, scrapes, etc.

The 'Fun' factor would totally disappear driving it daily in traffic.

Can you drive it daily? Sure.

Is it a 'Daily Driver'? Not in my book.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I think there's a difference between being able to drive it daily and being a 'Daily Driver'.

I would not consider the Boxster to be a 'Daily Driver'.

The Top and motor would take a toll buttoning it up and opening it several times daily.

It doesn't get the best fuel mileage.

You can only take one passenger with you.

Odd size loads would not easily fit in the car.

You wouldn't normally want to subject the car's body to the daily threats of door dings, scrapes, etc.

The 'Fun' factor would totally disappear driving it daily in traffic.

Can you drive it daily? Sure.

Is it a 'Daily Driver'? Not in my book.
Mine's not a daily driver, as Michigan roads are bad enough in the summer. That and it is not practical for business.

However I would take exception to some of the comments above:

"It doesn't get the best fuel mileage." - It may not get the best but it is certainly not bad. Better than my CTS.

"Odd size loads would not easily fit in the car." - Can be said of any car. Depends on how odd.

"You wouldn't normally want to subject the car's body to the daily threats of door dings, scrapes, etc." - I don't want any of my cars to get door dings and scrapes. Just park a little farther away.

"The 'Fun' factor would totally disappear driving it daily in traffic." - I don't know what else to say but that I disagree. I have fun sitting in it in my driveway.

I guess we all have our opinions but I think that you are being a little hard on the ol' Box. Wait, that came out wrong...
bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #18

That odd size load comment reminds me of when I bought a 28" LCD monitor. I managed to fit it in the passenger seat with the top down but it was still pushing over to my side (it extended all the way over the center console and touched the driver seat).

I tried to drive it home, but felt so stupid not to mention I couldn't see anything on my right side. Pulled into a parking lot and called for a ride to take my monitor home.

While I was waiting in the car, some lady pulled up and said 'wow, are you driving or is the tv driving ? LOL

nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #19

That reminds me, bought a new radiator for mine and collected it in the boxster, that had to go in the passenger seat as well, it was a lot of box for a small item though.
Adam_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #20

If you don't need a back seat, the Boxster is a wonderful DD. I never get tired driving this car. I use my 2000 as a DD during the summer when the kids are out of school. Very comfortable and the AC keeps me cold during the hot summer months. (Didn't have the same luck with my old 928S).

In terms of dings, excessive milage, maintanance cost; just use it and enjoy it. I'd rather have fun 7 days a week with some headaches, than only having fun for a few hours on the weekend.

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote