Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #1

softer suspension

hey whats up guys i have a 99 boxster and i just changed the front and rear strut thinking i wouldnt of feel the bumps as much but still feels the same anyone knows what will make it feel a lil less bumping ride ... my brother has a 99 also and doesnt feel every bump like i do in mines ..thanks jay

sabachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Perhaps your Boxster has the sport suspension installed. The only way I can think of to make the ride less bumpy is to get 16" rims so you have larger sidewall which would cushion the car more. Or just avoid potholes, etc.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #3

I went through that on my old Miata once. Installed a sport set of Tokico's shocks and springs. Man it was no improvement. Turns out the spring rates were too light and it was causing the car to bottom. I installed a set of KYB adjustables and a different set of springs from a Miata aftermarket company. Even though the car actually sat lower, the heavier spring rate kept the car in place way better over the bumps. I also installed rear shock mounts that allowed the rear shocks to have more room to travel without raising the car. What a difference. Night and day. All the pluses of a low profile stance without overly sacrificing the comfort.
Why did I sell that car!!!!??? The beauty of it was that all parts barely cost a grand.

If you plan on keeping that 99 for a while you might want to look at coil overs.
You can adjust the rebound and travel so that its actually a notch or two softer tha factory. I think I saw a sale somewhere for $1600 Billstein PSS9's. Not cheap when you factor in labor. Suspensions are tricky. I think the springs are your culprit. You may need to go to the non-sport.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

I'd suspect the wheels and tires as noted above. Sidewall stiffness will make a big difference in the way your car rides and handles. What wheels do you have? How do they compare to your friend's car? Some tires are made for handling, some are for ride. You might consider a more ride-oriented tire. In my experience, both wheel diameter and sidewall design can make a very noticeable difference in ride.

Also as noted, worn out, sagging springs will tend to bottom the suspension more easily. Is your car riding low on stock springs? Do you feel the harshness only over larger bumps or are small bumps also a problem? If you are using lowering springs on stock length struts, you can also run into bottoming issues.

General ride discomfort is more likely to be your tires. Hard hits over only large bumps could very well be bottoming out of the suspension and you need to replace your springs. Stock springs in good shape should not allow the car to bottom out under normal driving. Replacing the springs with a new set of stock parts is cheaper than going the coil-over route and still gives you a nice-handling street car.

Last edited by blue2000s; 02-12-2009 at 08:42 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
FTD

Increasing your acceleration through turns and making stronger 'right angle' turns instead arced or 'semi-circle' turns will greatly improve your experience and reduce the 'bumpy' sensation. If you take turns at a legal speed and you start to feel the pull of centrifugal force, then tires or suspension may need to be addressed.

Just my off the wall $.02
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Start with something simple. Check that your tire pressure is correct to Porsche recomendations. Tire installers tend to over inflate.

tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote