Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Recommended spark plugs for my '01 Boxster

My Box is an '01 with 35,000 miles. Still has origingal plugs and runs fine, but per manual should have had plugs changed 2-4 yrs ago (depending on what manual or guide you happen to have).

What plugs are recommended by you guys????????

Thanks
Bob

Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
My Box is an '01 with 35,000 miles. Still has origingal plugs and runs fine, but per manual should have had plugs changed 2-4 yrs ago (depending on what manual or guide you happen to have).

What plugs are recommended by you guys????????

Thanks
Bob
I use the OEM recommended plugs which are made by Beru. They cost a little more than some others, but I think they're worth it.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=986plu&Category_Code=986engele

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #3

Garage
I replaced mine with OEM Beru's, $13 a piece. Bosch also has a multi ground electrode plug in heat range 6, P/N FGR6KQE, they're about $8 a piece.

http://www.partsgeek.com/ntparts/2000/porsche/boxster/spark_plug.html?utm_source=yahoo+shopping&utm_medium=pf&utm_term=Porsche+Boxster+Spark+Plug+-+Beru&utm_content=mmbpp_limited&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Yahoo+Shopping
Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #4

Stick w/ oem.

Exotic metal plugs are mostly marketing hype and the only real supposed benefit is longevity. Longevity isn't really a plus on a car that's driven for performance or where the plugs are so easily changed, especially on a car where the mileage spec is already 60k mi. to begin with.

Aftermarket plugs may not be indexed properly and there is no universal standard on heat range. One Mfgr.'s #6 does not necessarily equal another's #6.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Stick w/ oem.

Exotic metal plugs are mostly marketing hype and the only real supposed benefit is longevity. Longevity isn't really a plus on a car that's driven for performance or where the plugs are so easily changed, especially on a car where the mileage spec is already 60k mi. to begin with.

Aftermarket plugs may not be indexed properly and there is no universal standard on heat range. One Mfgr.'s #6 does not necessarily equal another's #6.

Bosch, aftermarket? Beru isn't made by Porsche so that would make them aftermarket also. The Bosch plugs suggested aren't Platinum or Iridium, like that would even matter. You won't go wrong Bosch (~$50) or Beru (~$90)...just about a $40 difference in price for six spark plugs.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #6

I guess I'm a little confused Jax. You recommend and defend Bosch, but you replaced with the OEM Beru plugs??? Pick one....
fastorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #7

I went with Beru. They're a pretty fancy plug with 4 grounding prongs per plug. I think you get what you pay for to an extent.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Bosch, aftermarket? Beru isn't made by Porsche so that would make them aftermarket also. The Bosch plugs suggested aren't Platinum or Iridium, like that would even matter. You won't go wrong Bosch (~$50) or Beru (~$90)...just about a $40 difference in price for six spark plugs.
I don't think you totally understood my reply.

The Plugs Bosch #FR7LDC4, FG6LDC, and Beru 14FR6LDU, 14FR7KQU are all OEM plugs used by Porsche interchangeably (depending on your engine displacement).

These plugs were selected and then the heads tapped so that when properly torqued (22Ft.Lbs. new, 18.5 Ft. Lbs. used), they are inset optimally in the heads(depth) and their spark is properly aligned with the desired flamefront travel. Also, their respective heat ranges are close or matched too.

I suspect that none of these are better than any of the others spec'd, so if you can save on one over the other, so much the better.

But, there have been reported issues when using other plugs than these spec'd. Specifically, some of the other Bosche Platinums have been reported to have broken electrodes inside the motor which have caused some cylinder/piston scarring.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
The Beru's are $68 bucks from the Suncoast Porsche Dealer link I posted above, so it's not that much of a difference in price.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #10

The Suncoast link that Boxaboy provided shows a set of plugs with 2 ground electrodes each. The catalog listing doesn't actually say what brand there are!!! They balso have a "radio button" for 00-04 Box and another for 00-04 Box S. But when you put them in your cart and then compare the part numbers, they are the same plug.

Kirk says that his Beru's have 4 ground electrodes.

So, what's what? The Suncoast price isn't so bad, but for all I know, (based on their catalog) they're K-mart brand. I think I'll write Suncoast.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #11

I ordered, and installed, the oem plugs from Suncoast several months ago. They were Beru. Cost was 53.70 for six, 8.95 each. List price at the time was 16.58 each, without discount. hmmmm I HAVE ordered quite a lot of stuff from them, but don't think I'm getting any kind of "good customer" discount.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
I ordered, and installed, the oem plugs from Suncoast several months ago. They were Beru. Cost was 53.70 for six, 8.95 each. List price at the time was 16.58 each, without discount. hmmmm I HAVE ordered quite a lot of stuff from them, but don't think I'm getting any kind of "good customer" discount.

Bob
They're $67.74 now........so you didn't do so bad!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastorange
I guess I'm a little confused Jax. You recommend and defend Bosch, but you replaced with the OEM Beru plugs??? Pick one....
No problem. I've owned my Boxster for a year and when I first got my hands on it I did a through "Acceptance" inspection. That included a full tune-up, oil change and brake job. At the time I didn't know much about Porsche's so I ordered a set of OEM Beru's, when I received them I didn't notice much difference over Bosch. I have Bosch in all my toys and have never regretted them once, Champion plugs on the other hand...now they suck!

So with that being said you asked me to pick one...well with all things being equal I would save a couple of bucks and go with Bosch.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 02-02-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
The Suncoast link that Boxaboy provided shows a set of plugs with 2 ground electrodes each. The catalog listing doesn't actually say what brand there are!!! They balso have a "radio button" for 00-04 Box and another for 00-04 Box S. But when you put them in your cart and then compare the part numbers, they are the same plug.

So, what's what? The Suncoast price isn't so bad, but for all I know, (based on their catalog) they're K-mart brand. I think I'll write Suncoast.
The picture may be old on the site, but they send you the correct 4 pronged electrode set.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #15

Quote:

Suncoast replied........the plugs on their site are Beru. So, not a bad price fro a dependable premium plug.