Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #1

Unhappy New Oregon Member with Problem

Hey Guys, new member to the forum. I have a 98 boxster 2.5L I got a check engine light today when I was doing some normal driving. The only thing that I have recently done is install a K&N air filter. I put in the stock filter and cleared the check engine light. What are your thoughts on the K&N? Does is damage anything?

Thanks,

Jerry

98blackboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #2

What is the OBDII fault code number(s)? What method did you use to turn off the check engine light? How many miles since you put in the K&N before the light came on? How many miles with the original paper filter reinstalled and do you think the light will not come on again?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
What is the OBDII fault code number(s)? What method did you use to turn off the check engine light? How many miles since you put in the K&N before the light came on? How many miles with the original paper filter reinstalled and do you think the light will not come on again?
Well my OBD2 reader will not give me the code for this car for some reason but this is the only thing that has changed. I could feel a little hesitation immediately after installing the K&N. I would say I put about 50 miles on the car with the K&N in before the light came on? I took it out as soon as the light came on too and replaced with stock air filter. I'll go home after work and soak the stack filter with some rubbing alcohol so the intake mist of alcohol will hopefully clean the MAF. The light has not come back on yet, but there is still just the slightest hesitation.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #4

Ah yes...the great "oil based filter killing MAF" debate

edit: The exact reason why I never installed my K&N filter, and why it still sits in the box in my closet.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:32 AM   #5

Yeah, if I would have heard that this filter can damage the MAF I would have never put it in. The thing is that I never had this problem on any other car I've owned and both the honeycomb MAF and the single wire MAF.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:43 AM   #6

Yeah, I've had oil based filters on other cars as well but researching it for the 986 after I bought a filter, I decided the small HP gain was not worth the $300 expense of a new MAF.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:54 AM   #7

I soaked the foam element of my stock filter with Rubbing alcohol and the resulting mist in the intake apprears to have cleaned the oil residue off the MAF since my car no longer hesitates on acceleration.