Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 AM   #21

SeanZ4 - I am also a new first time Porsche/Boxster S owner and I know exactly how you feel. I agree with all the posts on this thread. The number of engine failures must be a very small percentage, but you hear a lot about the ones that have failed and it scares you.
We should probably start a thread about cars without major engine problems just to contrast all the negative stuff folks have said. In fact I'm going to start that thread right now...

Dave S.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #22

Garage
Thank you all!!

Thanks for all your great responses. I DO feel a little better now. I had a 325Cic before this car and a Z4 before that and 2 Z3s before that going back to the mid 90s. They were all wonderful cars. It is a third car for me, so the biggest challenge will be to get out and drive it.

johnsimion: who's your mech. in KC?? I'm in the Manhattan/Salina area. I'd like to find a good indie..

Once again, thank you guys for all your wisdom!

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #23
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
I heard there's going to be a terrorist attack in multiple american cities in the next few days. Stay away from major airports, train and subway stations and large buildings.

I also heard on CNN that there's these killer bees coming from south africa.

And those germs on door knobs and your keyboard at work.

And, you might as well try to stay home tomorrow, you might get hit by a dump truck or a hummer... brain juice is hard to clean off those roll bars.

This forum is getting worse day by day...
well said.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #24

Bottom line to it (despite my joking post no. 4) is that I wouldn't buy a Boxster that's out of warranty or soon to go out of warranty unless I could stroke a check for a new motor. It happens. I believe it's much more often than with many makes of cars, and definitely more expensive. I would make sure I knew what I was going to do if the motor went from an IMS and I was out of warranty. Would I pay $12k to get another from PCNA? Would I have a rebuild by one of the guys who's doing that now? Would I have to just park the car because I couldn't afford to fix it? What would I do? It's a question I wouldn't ask if I were buying a Miata because the motor costs about $2000, and is very unlikely to let go. I bought my car with 4 years of warranty, so I never considered the question. It expired in December '08, so now I'm on my own dime. If it happens it happens. But if I couldn't write a check for the repair I would be a little worried. In fact, I'd be looking at selling, probably. Not because I THINK it's going to happen, but just the idea that I might get stuck with a problem that's hard to solve.

I'm really writing all this as a reality check for the people who are considering the raft of Boxsters now available for under $15k. It seems like a screaming bargain to those of us who paid a lot more for one, but I fear that many people in that price range will just barely be able to afford the $13k for the car, and if they think, "Wow! I could get a 99 Boxster for my bread or a 2006 Miata. Hmmm, Boxster is the clear choice," I would urge them to think about the questions I have posed above.

For many other people, a $13,000 Boxster is a 3rd or 4th car and a blown motor would be a PITA, but not a catastrophe. Just the sort of thing you would have to hide from your wife, telling her you loaned the car to your best friend for a couple of weeks or something, then grumbling about "the hit we took in the market this week because of those damn Wall Street pirates!!!"

Matt
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #25

Sean, I just married a Porsche and a BMW and they are living happily in my garage. I can hear them whispering sweet nothings to one another in German after I turn out the garage lights and close the door.

I had the same freaked-out feelings you have when I bought my old, far higher mileage, far more beat up boxster four and a half years ago. Yes, I've sunk quite a bit into repairs and even more into mods, but the car is simply amazing and I wouldn't trade my old box in on another one to tell you the truth... even if my motor blows. I'll put a Jake Raby rebuild in it and thrash it even more when I take it out to the back roads of central Texas or to the Texas World Speedway for high speed driver's education weekends.

The longer you drive and enjoy your Porsche, the less you will worry about repairs or a motor blowing. Trust me.

Now go out and drive that car like you stole it. Remember, the car really needs you to redline it in every gear, especially 6th gear now and then when you're doing 160
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #26

Well I guess my even bigger fear has come true, I'm going to have to wait to get my Porsche until I CAN write a check for $12,000 and not let it shake my finances, and only when I have another DD, Sean I'm sure you know lots about BMW's, is then330ci pretty bullet proof as far as MAJOR failures? I'm assuming it's similar to your 325, or how about an M3?
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #27

Welcome to the club! It's impossible to say whether yours will blow up or not. Odds are it won't!!. One thing you might want to do, however, is to investigate an extended warranty from either the dealer (doubtful but, I suppose, possible) or an after-market one. I bought my 01 three + years ago and got a Warranty Direct top of the line complete coverage package, which covers it up to 100K miles. Cost was something around 2,300 or so, but it covers pretty much everything on the car. Was it worth it? hmmmm not from a cost standpoint since I've YET to have to use the warranty (knock on wood). But the peace of mind was certainly worth it.

I got the car with 23K on the odo. It now has 65+K on it. I track it at least twice a year and drive it almost daily. Not a single problem (ok I had to replace the ignition switch but that was all of $35 and a couple of hours time including going to the Audi dealer to pick up the part). I change the oil and filter every 5 - 7 K miles. I've changed the brake pads several times (for track use mainly and once because the original pads were worn out) And I changed the front rotors. All the above, except the ignition, were just wear items.

Mine, so far, has been totally dependable. Its one of the easiest cars I've ever owned to work on. (Brake pads take, what..an hour or so to change all four. Rotors took about an hour. no big deal)

My advice.. join PCA, look into getting a warranty (after much research as to what kind and from who), read the forums, change oil twice as often as the book recommends, get some good winter tires (I personally like the Dunlop Winter Sport, but there are several other good options) and DRIVE IT! You'll be a happy camper

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #28

Garage
The E46s (1999-2005) are pretty bullet-proof. As far as major failures, figure on very seldom to never. The 2.5 and 3.0 are of the smoothest most reliable straight sixes in the world. Just my opinion, but I've owned half a dozen of them with -0- problems. Cooling issues will be your worst problem. They do tend to eat water pumps and blow expansion tanks...very common on a higher mileage one. Some of the earlier E46s had problems with the VANOS system too... but still not a major issue. As far as a M3?? Well, I've never had one of those, but they are a completely different animal. Considerable more expense in maint. I would guess. Most importantly, if you are young (I am not), check your insurance on a M3 before buying!! You can go to E46fanatics or bimmerforums and get lots of questions answered. Just like here, you only hear from the people with problems. For not much $$ you can mod out a 325ci or 330ci to look just like a M. They have entire sections on it if you're so inclined. If you're going to use it as your "only" or "daily driver" I'd go with the 3 car just for practicality.

sean
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #29

Garage
Thanks Bob.

I have an uncle in Overland Park with an 01 that he bought new. He's had no problems with it other than a serp. belt broke on it at 4k on I-70.

I bought mine at Scholfield Porsche in Wichita. They sold it new and ran it through a pretty impressive check list. They even replaced the ashtray door because they said "it was cosmetically unacceptable".... Normally I'd shy away from a stealership, but they put a full drive-train wtty. on it %100 coverage for 90 days, and showed me all the serv. record since new. They're supposed to mail me a copy of all that this week. I'm thinking about an aftermarket wtty. for piece of mind at the very least.

sean
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
... I'm thinking about an aftermarket wtty. for piece of mind at the very least.

sean
Probably the best course of action. In a way, you're probably wasting $2000+, but unless you want to "self insure," it's not a bad plan. Funny thing is, if you had owned the car yourself since new and it had the same number of miles on it, you would probably think it was completely bulletproof and would not even consider adding a $2000 warranty now. You'd just drive it and figure WTH, if it blows it blows. That's how I am right now with a 4-year OEM warranty that just ran out 30 days ago.

But the exact same car, if I had just bought it yesterday, even if I knew for a fact that it had never had any issues, would be scaring me. Funny how psychology works. If you buy an extended warranty you will have spent money that will probably be wasted, but it is a relatively small, manageable amount. If you don't spend it, you will be gambling on a potentially very large bill if the worst happens; unlikely, sure, but more likely than on a Lexus.

Matt
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #31

It's only money :-}

Hell, in 2008 I lost enough money in the market for 2 IMS failures and a new tranny. I'm still enjoying life!

Drive it like you stole it.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #32

000 Boxster S
Don't worry -- Be Happy!

I have a 2000s with the following engine history

No problems until 46K
46K replace drive belt tensioner pully
46k power steering hose replaced
77K O2 sensor
79K DME replaced
79K Oil separator
79K Air Mas Sensor
79K Right Cam Cover Seal
82K Water Pump
82K Left Cam Cover Seal
88K Vacuum Reservoir and Change over Valve
Current mileage 95K

I have a 2001 BMW 3 series with 135K and the Boxster maintenance is comparable.

These problems are about average in my experience with German cars.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #33

If it will make you feel any better, my 2000 S just turned 100K.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #34

hey congrats on crossing over to the dark side. the grass is greener here too..

When i got my 986 I was worried once I came on this forum and others online. Try not to worry. I became very paranoid with every sound and imperfection i felt in the car.

this is a sports car, enjoy it. it wont be perfect but its a different and better experience than a BMW.

take care of it and it will take care of you.

be resourceful with mods and maintenance. theres alot of advice, parts and mods out there cheap and available which can enhance your experience.

JUST DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #35

Sean: You asked who is my indie mech in KC? Aaron or Eric at www.bobhindsonracinginc.com or www.kcporsche.com. They are located a few blocks south of downtown. Nice guys to talk to, and seem to know their stuff. I hope not to get to know them too well, however. LOL
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #36

Ive got a 98 box with straight pipes its my daily driver its got over 90k on it, I love the car to death and Ive never had anything big go wrong... and I drive pretty fast. Just maintain it put some nice oil in it and love the car, and it will love you.
P-51 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #37

Just bought my 2000 base from dealership less than 2 months ago with 42k miles and so far:

cracked coolant reservoir - $1200 dealer fix
alternator - $400
alternator bracket - $770

picking it up tomorrow from the shop and bidding that car adieu.

the maintenance is ridiculous...

maybe i'll get back into p cars later on when i can afford a DD AND a toy...
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #38
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Everybody nows the Boxster is more expensive than a normal car to maintain, but the alternator is common on every car and the coolant tank is common on the Boxster. I wouldn't write the Boxster off after you've already put $2k into it to get it running well.
In my first three months of ownership I had to have vacuum leak and seat belt receptacle replaced. Since then I have had no problems.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #39

seems like the most delicate sports car i've ever driven..
like i have to drive it very carefully so as not to disturb it.

i love driving it like a sports car (semi aggressive.. mostly quick accels)
but it seems like every time i do, something breaks..

and i dread doing it that one time and leaving me with a broken engine or trans...

we'll see... maybe when i get it back and see her again, i'll fall in love all over again
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #40

Every engine has a chance of dying right? The truth is, people don't come online and tell everyone that their engine is living, they only report things if they go wrong. From the thousands of Boxsters around the country, only a few vehicles have faced engine failure.

Just get out there and enjoy, if you are feeling too paranoid then I perhaps it's best to go Japanese, perhaps an S2000?

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote