Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #1

Shaky when reversing at a sharp angle

It's been a few months that my car has been shaky when turning the wheels very sharp either direction and reversing (so at low speed). It happens as well -but not as dramatic in the front. Could it be the transmission? Any ideas or similar problems around? (it has about 45K miles)

99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #2

My Boxster does the same, it jerks and bounces when reversing while turning sharply. I have ignored it, as it didn't seem like a big thing to worry about.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #3

not a big deal but would rather not have it...I had my tires rotated and did the allignement a few months back and feel like it kind of happened around the same time...wonder if that's related...
99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
FTD

I had this and it was resolved when I got new tires with some tread. hahaha. I am surprised someone rotated your tires. I'm not sure that was a good move, although its not a catastrophe, unless they got the fronts and rears in the wrong place. That would be a real problem.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #5

Rotated your tires? What brand do you have, as many tires are directional only. Did they remove and re-mount them on the rim? Take a look at the sidewall and see if the directional arrow is pointing the right way.

(Probably from running over curbs...just kidding. Did your husband rotate them?)
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 01-13-2009 at 10:43 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #6

Your car is certainly old enough to have a worn wheel bearing or a worn control arm.

To check wheel bearings, jack up the front of the car and have someone hold the steering wheel firmly while you move the front wheels left and right and up and down to see if there's any play in the wheel bearing. Then spin it and see if it makes any kind of grinding or clicking noise.

To check control arms, it will probably take a mechanic's eye. Creaking sounds when making sharp turns or when going over a speed bump or entering/exiting a garage or steep driveway entrance are a dead give away too.

Your car is ten years old. Regardless of mileage, the gaskets in the control arms (of which there are three on each corner) will degrade over time and start cracking or go rubbery and loose on the car and will require replacement. Same goes for wheel bearings... I've read on this board that bearings have gone out on cars with just 30k on them.

Or, it's just something simple like your tires digging into the pavement or not digging in as they should. Without seeing the car we're all just guessing here... but it's fun, no?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #7

You might want to check the engine and transmission mounts. If one has failed or is seriously worn it could cause a shaking under certain conditions.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 AM   #8

My guess is that the Front Engine Mount is badly worn.
It will cause this shaking and makes it harder to shift as well.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #9

My Boxster is an 04S and I noticed it does the same thing, but it only started in very cold weather. The front in feels like it is skipping when I turn the wheel sharply. This is only at slow speeds. I have noticed that after the tires have warmed up and I do the same exact thing, the front tires will not skip. :dance:

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #10

I think that it could be the tires themselves as they are not the ones that came with the car originally. When these tires are done, I will get some good years again. :dance:

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote