Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:22 AM   #1

Amplifier Swap

Is there a DIY to swap the factory Amplifier? I put a nice top of the like Alpine unit in my Boxster, it is really nice, I put my 32GB Touch on it, and it also has USB for a thumb drive or something. I would like to buy a really good Amp, 2 or 4 channel, whatever I need and replace the factory amp. Anybody done this?

jeveretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There is a DIY to put a 6 channel 996 amp in, but for an aftermarket amp you will probably have to figure out all the wiring yourself.
Good Luck, when you do it post a DIY I would be interested to see it!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #3

After market amp

Ok, so I just finished installing an after market amp. Assuming that you replaced the head unit it's not that difficult just takes time.

I pulled the door skins off (search this site for DYI) and replaced the stock door subs with 6.5 inch JL Audio subs. That made the most impressive change! You'll need to make a custom cutout for the subs so this is the most difficult part but again there are DYI instructions on this site.

When you unplug the stock amp there are two connectors. Basically, I spent months searching for an aftermarket connector for the amp and only Crutchfield sells one but they are out of stock and no ETA on the replacement. So I had to cut the wires. The thicker wires are the ones that run to the speakers and if you're really serious I'll send you the color coding. Run RCA cables to the amp and you'll be good. I put my amp in the front trunk on the floor. Again, you'll need to either wait for Crutchfield or cut the wires. I opted for the later.

I bought a Pyramid amp that has a cross over for the high and lows and I only paid like $65 on ebay and it really rocks.

So this is doable just takes patience. BTW I do not have the optical output head unit and assuming that you don't as well.

If you're in Chicago it's easier to show you how to do it drop me a line.

I went with the Avic D3 and it is sooo cool and sounds awesome!

Good luck.

-Steve
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
...The thicker wires are the ones that run to the speakers and if you're really serious I'll send you the color coding...-Steve
I spent a lot of time looking for the wiring color codes. Just for those searching, here is a link to the larger connector:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1918.html

I plan on posting all info I have on the amlifier, wiring, and how to take it apart just for those trying to find the info, so they don't have to guess like I did. i know the info is out there somewhere, it's just hard to find sometimes.
Mensan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #5

Did you find a connector or are you cutting the amp wires like I did? Those colors look right.

Let me know how your new amp sounds. You may encounter the whine noise when the engine is running - if so, install a ground loop eliminator.

I still have an issue with my amp where it "pops" when it turns off. I know it's the amp because I don't hear it when I disconnect power to the amp.

Do you need any more help or are you good?

-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote