Thread: Amplifier Swap
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
chitowndad

After market amp

Ok, so I just finished installing an after market amp. Assuming that you replaced the head unit it's not that difficult just takes time.

I pulled the door skins off (search this site for DYI) and replaced the stock door subs with 6.5 inch JL Audio subs. That made the most impressive change! You'll need to make a custom cutout for the subs so this is the most difficult part but again there are DYI instructions on this site.

When you unplug the stock amp there are two connectors. Basically, I spent months searching for an aftermarket connector for the amp and only Crutchfield sells one but they are out of stock and no ETA on the replacement. So I had to cut the wires. The thicker wires are the ones that run to the speakers and if you're really serious I'll send you the color coding. Run RCA cables to the amp and you'll be good. I put my amp in the front trunk on the floor. Again, you'll need to either wait for Crutchfield or cut the wires. I opted for the later.

I bought a Pyramid amp that has a cross over for the high and lows and I only paid like $65 on ebay and it really rocks.

So this is doable just takes patience. BTW I do not have the optical output head unit and assuming that you don't as well.

If you're in Chicago it's easier to show you how to do it drop me a line.

I went with the Avic D3 and it is sooo cool and sounds awesome!

Good luck.

-Steve
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote